Logic record audio (VIRUS TI) and arpeggio question

jontah

Hi guys,

I've got a few questions that I've been struggling on for a while.

The first one is:

How do I record the arpeggiator from, lets say ANY synth such as sylenth1 or the Virus TI Snow? What I basically want is to record the arpeggiated pattern, so I can manually change and adjust it in the piano roll after it's recorded. Not just putting the arpeggiator on a whole note. I'm using Logic Pro 9. I want the arpeggiator to be synced to my DAW's tempo.

The second is:

How do you record the stuff from the Virus TI Snow? how do you guys do this? I saw an uploaded video on youtube where a guy recorded the virus TI snow via a bus channel (he recorded it into audio LIVE, in Logic). How do I do this?

Well this doesn't just have to be the Virus TI Snow, but ANY sound in general, just like using the "resampling" in Ableton.

I'd really like to know this.

The third question is:

What do you prefer to use? Logic's built-in arpeggiator, or the synths arpeggiator?

I just downloaded Kirnu, is it good for that? I really want to enhance in getting better at doing beautiful arps, but it's hard as hell :(

Answers are really appreciated!

Thanks alot!

Hi,

How do I record the arpeggiator from, lets say ANY synth such as sylenth1 or the Virus TI Snow?

To be able to record a synth's arpeggiated notes it must be able to output them as MIDI data. Sylenth1 does not output MIDI as far as I know.

The Virus does, but you need to enable that:

Arp Note Send

Off, On: Specifies whether the notes created by the arpeggiator will be sent to the MIDI output instead of the

original played notes.

I want the arpeggiator to be synced to my DAW's tempo.

You need to send MIDI Clock from Logic to the synth (Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI > MIDI Clock) and set the synth to sync to an external clock (MIDI Clock coming from Logic).

How do you record the stuff from the Virus TI Snow?

Do you have an audio interface and one or two audio cables?

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

J.

Great! Thanks alot for answer!

So, if I want the MIDI from a software synth that doesn't have the output MIDI button, I cannot get the arpeggiated notes recorded?

Couldn't you set this up in the enviroment just like you do with the arpeggiator that is built in, in Logic? or something similar. I really wish to get the notes from sylenth and other softsynths!

Although I wonder, is it better to have it saved as a template? that the MIDI clock Destination 1 is Virus TI Snow Synth? (is that set correct btw and what happens when setting this here? the difference?)

Yes I do have an audio interface, Apogee Duet.

So if I want to record the output of the VIRUS TI Snow (which is connect via USB), how do I record this in realtime without having to bounce? what I wish to do is to record the patch on an audiochannel,

Read my signature, everything should be there now! hehe. Thanks in advanced!

Best,

J

So, if I want the MIDI from a software synth that doesn't have the output MIDI button, I cannot get the arpeggiated notes recorded?

Couldn't you set this up in the enviroment just like you do with the arpeggiator that is built in, in Logic? or something similar. I really wish to get the notes from sylenth and other softsynths!

The only way Logic will accept MIDI output from a plug-in is if the plug-in uses a virtual MIDI port that appears in Logic's Physical Input object in the environment.

This is how Kirnu and other Audio Units plug-ins do it.

Logic does not support direct MIDI output from plug-ins.

Sylenth1 does not have this virtual MIDI port as far as I know so you can't use its arpeggiator for generating MIDI notes.

Although I wonder, is it better to have it saved as a template? that the MIDI clock Destination 1 is Virus TI Snow Synth? (is that set correct btw and what happens when setting this here? the difference?)

Not sure I understand what you mean. I don't have a Virus TI Snow so cannot tell you exactly how to do it. The principle is the same for all synths that can sync to MIDI Clock, though.

So if I want to record the output of the VIRUS TI Snow (which is connect via USB), how do I record this in realtime without having to bounce? what I wish to do is to record the patch on an audiochannel,

All hardware synths must be recorded (or bounced) in real time. There's no way Logic's going to do offline calculations for something other than a plug-in. With the Virus I believe you can also use its USB port for audio, so check it's manual. There are other threads about this very subject around in Logic Pro Help, search for them.

Create an audio track and choose the appropriate inputs (the ones coming from the Virus).

J.

OK So lets assume I'm using Kirnu then (maybe it's better to use a plugin for arps so you know it in and out and don't have to adapt to every single synths arp system after all.

How do I get Kirnu's arp to be recorded into midi (like the arpeggio is played, not only the whole notes, but the actual arpeggiated notes), I've searched around on google and youtube for this, but couldn't find ANYTHING!

For the recording virus, yeah I tried that, maybe I'm using the wrong input on the audio channel? hmmm...