Humanizing Question

jerjabs

I have some midi piano parts & want to use the Humanize transpose function to help make them sound more natural. I have manually adjusted the velocity of individual notes to my liking, and ONLY want to humanize note positions on the grid as they are all snapped perfectly to 1/8.

In the Humanize window, what do I adjust so I only humanize the position of the notes and nothing else?

Thanks

transform.png.d9b64ceff7e57895e347230294b9126a.png

when you have midi notes perfectly quantized and you want to human them up, what settings do you personally use as far as how much to randomize them?

I don't have any typical setting, it depends on the task at hands. Often I'll just do as rainstick said: keep the default settings and hit the "Operate Only" button a few times. But sometimes I want something very subtle so I'll just randomize things by a few ticks.

I also like to keep the amount of randomization low, but click the "Operate Only" button many times.

This is different from increasing the randomness and clicking once - clicking multiple times makes it more likely that the notes will probably be near their original positions, and only occasionally further away.

(The same way that rolling two dice makes it most likely to roll a 7 and common to roll 6 or 8, but very unlikely to roll a 2 or 12.)

+1 with Matt's approach.

Keep in mind that even with low values, when you hit Operate a second time it may shift certain notes right back to where they were originally. Random is random. However, there's no safeguard for ensuring that notes never go back to a quantized position. That's why Matt's approach is the best, because you can add humanizing incrementally, and hit UNDO after each one if you don't like the results of each hit of "Operate".

Also, don't count on Humanizing doing all the work for you. For example, on any given chord you may end up with a result that you like except for the placement of one note. In this case, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater; move that note's position manually instead of hitting "Operate" again.

I also like to keep the amount of randomization low, but click the "Operate Only" button many times.

This is different from increasing the randomness and clicking once - clicking multiple times makes it more likely that the notes will probably be near their original positions, and only occasionally further away.

(The same way that rolling two dice makes it most likely to roll a 7 and common to roll 6 or 8, but very unlikely to roll a 2 or 12.)

WHat do you consider a "low" setting and are you changing the little white box defaulted at ( . . . 10) ?