Automate 1 out of two effects in a chain

rainstick

Im having a bit of a problem - i want to have one delay creating a saturation effect followed by another which is actually delaying things... yet logic will only allow me to control the first in the chain ( the saturation one )

is there any way to tell logic i want to control the second one, ?

cheers

Sorry - i forgot to explain that i was controlling the delay with my Sh-201 - im still able to draw in automation with the mouse it was just i wanted to play it in...

And when i had that channel strip selected i was only able to control the first delay in the chain.

crap sorry.... well - i wanted to record in the automation using my roland keyboard, but the only one which i was able to control was the first delay in the chain.... And i could automate that fine, but i wanted to automate the one after it....

channel.png.825c4664711f365da719a41c2e91e589.png

so it would be the top one out of that channel strip being automated by my controller when i wanted to record automation for the second one

I hope im explaining myself ok, sorry if it's a bit all over the shop....

rainstick, you keep saying what you want to do. But Jordito (and my) question was HOW are you trying to do it? What we need from you is something like this:

1) I open the plug-in.

2) I choose Preferences > Controller Assignments.

3) I drag a parameter on the plug-in.

4) I click "Learn Mode", but the button doesn't seem to engage: it stays grayed out.

etc etc....

So don't tell us what you want or what works or what does not work - we got that part by now. Instead tell us exactly which steps you are taking, one by one, in order to try and automate a parameter of your 2nd plug-ins, and at what point it's not working. For all we know you can't even turn on automation view, or you can't get your controller assignments to work, or you forgot to reassign the parameter for the 2nd plug-in, or you've made some custom cabling in your environment... etc. Until we have that information we cannot help. So I'll ask again:

What steps do you take in order to automate the second plug-in, and what happens when you take those steps?

Thanks!

no worries david, cheers all

The control's for the tape delay are already assigned to my roland keyboard, i can automate all the parameter's no problem, it's got it's own little mode in the controller assignment's and is fairly content....

assignment.png.c8cc767310e0014767bb59e97527f0cb.png

But - When i have two delay's in a chain, i am only able to record automation (using my roland keyboard) for the first one in the chain ( the one nearest the top of the screen.... )

I was just wondering if there was a way so that i could have the delay's in this order, yet record automation in for the second one in the chain rather than the first one.....

So - the exact process

open a track in logic

Put two delay unit's on this track

adjust the control on your keyboard assigned to feedback / wet or what ever

Which of the delay's feedback changes ,? Both, ?

If it's operating the same as mine then only the first Delay's feedback will change, the second won't respond....

There's no Environment cabling or anything of the sort... All in the arrange page and parameters have been assigned using the command assigner....

i hope that makes some sense! sorry to seem obtuse on this

Which of the delay's feedback changes ,?

The one you've assigned! If you want to control the 2nd plug-in you have to assign the 2nd plug-in's feedback parameter (the same way you assigned your 1st plug-in's feedback parameter). Sounds to me like you've assigned a knob to the feedback in your 1st plug-in and you expected that assignment to work in any Delay plug-in? But you've really only assigned it to THAT plug-in.

*boooomm head explodes* ha... OK... s#!+, sorry guy's i never realized that! :oops:

So - normally the assignment's i have made work fine whenever i put a delay onto a track and want to automate it - but are you saying that when i put another delay unit onto the same chain it acts as a completely different effect's unit, ?

Should i then set up an automation mode called ' delay 2 ' and just learn all the assignment's in the same way as i would have done the first time round, ?

So - normally the assignment's i have made work fine whenever i put a delay onto a track and want to automate it - but are you saying that when i put another delay unit onto the same chain it acts as a completely different effect's unit, ?

Yes! In fact it IS a completely different effect unit.

Should i then set up an automation mode called ' delay 2 ' and just learn all the assignment's in the same way as i would have done the first time round, ?

Depends what you're trying to do: would you like both feedbacks to be "hard wired" and have a single knob control both feedback parameters at the same time?

what i was trying to do this time was automate the parameter's of the second delay in the channel strip and have the dial's not effect the first one.... But it would be nice to be able to switch between them.... and copy the existing control assignments over.

i didn't realize that you could do that, ? Whenever i change automation modes i have to CMD L and open up the assignments window... id be interested to hear a quicker way though...

Spec to this problem though - i just wanted the ability to choose which delay i wanted to automate with my keyboard....

I just tried the following -

I set up a new mode called ' tape 2 ' in my command assignment's window

1868791598_newmode.png.8514f62b2b232f3de2209dd747f4c6dd.png

Opened up the second delay in the chain

Began assigning parameters

But - as im assigning them and the window is saying ' learned ' i notice that the parameters of the first delay are moving... So even though i've set up a new automation mode logic still apply's my keyboard to the first one in the chain...

im still unable to automate the second one....

So - can everyone else just select which effect's unit they want to automate even if there's 2 / 3 or so of the same kind on 1 channel strip, ? Or is this just something that can't be done in logic, ?

cheers

The simplest way might be to just use a different knob/button/slider on your controller to automate the second delay (if it's a different parameter). Or use David's mode switcher idea. The thing is, you've already assigned that particular hardware-controller-knob-thingie to one delay, so it's always gonna affect that delay when the track is selected. Edited by camillo jr