Cloning my G5 PPC Drive with Disc Utility

I'd like to clone my macs drive to an external firewire hard drive. The external hard drive has about 450 gigs on it left and is partitioned. I'd have to move the 2nd partition data to the first to keep the whole 2nd partition free. Im currently not connected to the internet on my computer so i'd like to make the clone using disc utility if i can? ive never done this before and was wondering if its possible anyone have any experience doing it this method with some data on the drive to be cloned to. Im on a G5 PPC NON intel. 10.4.8 and Logic Pro 7.2.3. thank you,

I was thinking since I have an extra FireWire hard drive for logic pro session backups can I copy just logic pro and the current OS by dragging just those apps to the external drive? Not a clone but a copy? I realize that a clone would be best... But I have no extra cash for another drive and still 400 gigs on the external FireWire drive. What can I do for now?

Here's how to use Disk Utility to clone and backup your hard drive:

Start up from the Mac OS X disk that came with your Mac. To do this, insert the CD or DVD into your Mac, and hold down the C key while your Mac restarts.

Go ahead select your language. Don’t worry: You're not installing Mac OS X again - this is just what you have to do to get to Disk Utility. When the menu bar appears, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

When Disk Utility opens, you'll want to select your source. This is the hard drive you want to clone and/or backup. After you have a source, select the Destination. This is the hard drive you want to save the backup image to.

Click Restore and you'll end up with a perfect copy of your hard drive. Restart your computer and you're good to go!

Thanks alot everyone. i will be getting a drive and trying disc utility. Weird that i'd have to stick in my old OS disc. a little odd. I cant use disc utility without my original OS disc? I know i have it tucked away safely from (2004) is this a way to keep hackers from copying someones computer or something? anyway...thanks.

There is a difference in clone and image of a drive. A clone is a bootable backup of a drive whereas an image is files having exact replica of drive.

The disk utility in Mac creates an image not a clone. A clone is recommended in situations where you need to undo the changes made in your machine either knowingly or unknowingly.

The third party tools like CCC, Stellar drive Clone, SuperDuper etc are great tools to create clone of your machine.