Recording Vocals and Quicky Editing.

logicproguy

Question, what is a fast way to get rid of the empty air around your recorded vocal without having to edit each part. For example, image your looking at a 35 second wave that has parts every 3 seconds with empty space in between, normally we would just cut around each part, but is there a way where logic recognizes what is not a vocal and removes it, just leaving that parts?

Select a region and then "Control + X" is the default shortcut...

The command is located in the "Audio" drop down in the arrange window menu.

The parameters are pretty straight forward and the graphical display shows what you're doing before you hit "ok".

i can't work with short time for what i'm looking to achieve. So basically I am just following "duggan's" reponse to solve this issue? As a recap, I would like to remove the (dead air) around my instruments that are played on an audio file so "just the audio instruments" i have in the audio file play back and everything around them are removed. Similar to the trim in a way, only i'm looking to trim away what isn't an imprint in wave.

i can't work with short time for what i'm looking to achieve.

Just cut a short region (for example about 4 bars long), and use strip silence on it, then apply the settings throughout the rest of the track if the track is consistant - otherwise keep cutting short regions and work one region at a time. What I mean by short region is a few bars, but not the whole song. Otherwise you won't be able to see anything in the strip silence window, and you will be working blind.

So basically I am just following "duggan's" reponse to solve this issue?

Yes - and let us know if you have questions regarding some of the parameters? You can also read about it there: Removing Silent Passages from Audio Regions

I guess the advantage of strip silence is less CPU strain?

There are others: it's easier to fine tune what gets gated and what doesn't with strip silence. Since the regions are on the track you can adjust their start/end positions, add custom fades etc. It's also less hard drive streaming.

With a noise gate you're essentially streaming noise from the hard drive, and using RAM and CPU (although very little) to detect and cut the noise in real time.

Also for clarity purposes some people prefer to see regions on the track when the instrument is playing, but no regions when it's not.