Re-amping Guitars with duet 2 and logic 9 help

legatonick

Hey there!

I have been working on my own record and learning this HUGE curve known as recording haha. I need some help with re-amping, as I am always changing guitar tones by the time we get to mixing. For example I have a pedalboard and a Dr.Z that I would like to run through while I record a dry signal track at the same time. Once I have both of those I would like to re-amp that signal back through the Dr.Z or any other amp for that matter through my pedalboard so that I may alter the sound to my liking. I just don't know how to go about all that and the things that I may need to do so. I have a Apoggee duet 2 interface. If I could get some feedback as to how to go about it, the steps I should take to achieve good if not great results. Thanks!

Nick

Hi,

I do not own a Duet but as far as I remember it has 4 analog outputs which is an advantage in your scenario.

It is supposed that all channels in your Logic song project are summed to the Master Out 1-2 right ?

1. Create another Main Output channel and set it to 3-4.

2. Set the Output Slot of the "Dry Guitar" Audio Track to Output (3-4).

3. Hook up audio cables from the Duet 3-4 outs to your re-amping equipment after that patch audio cables back to the Duet input(s).

4. Create a new Audio track(s) in Logic and record the re-amping. Attention - the Output slot of the re-amping Track must be set to the Main mixing Out 1-2 (which is set by default), to prevent from any feedback issues !

The Duet 2 only has two balanced line outs which are usually used for studio monitors, so you'll have to temporarily route your main Stereo Out to headphones and monitor thru headphones while you do this; then you can use one of the two balanced line outs for your guitar re-amping.

Route your dry guitar track to one of the balanced outs, say Output 2 for example. Then connect that physical output on the Duet to a re-amping box that converts the signal from line level to instrument level (such as the Radial X-Amp or similar). Next, take the output of the re-amping box to the input of your guitar amp, just like you would a guitar (you can run thru pedals, etc, if you want). Lastly, mic up the amp and record onto a track in Logic Pro the same way you would if you were recording a live guitar player.

This would be easier to do if you had a multi-output audio interface, but this should work. Hope that helps...