Tab region to region

ERO

I know there's a way to do this but I'm drawing a blank... On a sliced snare track, zoomed way in on a single hit. I want to tab from hit to hit (region to region) on the track, while staying zoomed in. How do you do this? I know you can select the next region by hitting the right arrow key, but how do you select the next region AND move the playhead to the start of that region simultaneously?

You could create markers for each region and use the "Go to Next Marker" key command. Then delete the markers when you're done. Just make sure you have the Catch Playhead button enabled.

EDIT: I forgot about alternative markers. You can have up to 9 different marker lists. Thanks, seeren.

Edited by teedoff087

If the main thing is to be zoomed in, and not the play head, check out Auto Set Locators. This feature can be activated if you control click in the bar ruler (or with ⌃⌥A).

When enabled, selecting the next region with the right arrow will also zoom into that area. If the next region is longer/shorter, you can use "Toggle Zoom To Fit Selection or All Contents". (Key command: z).

If the main thing is to move the play head, try Go To Selection Start (⌃↖ or ⇧↩ as already suggested, depending on which language you use).

If you want use Go To Next Marker create a new marker set and drag all your regions on that track into the global marker track. This way, Logic will automatically create a new marker (with region name and color) for each region for you - but if you're zoomed close in, Logic will show the region start for you. and not the whole region. In this case you can zoom out or use Z.

Thanks for the replys, guys. These are helpful ideas. However, I can't believe there isn't a simple way to tab from region to region on a selected track and have each region (or the start of each region) appear on the screen... It isn't necessary to actually move the playhead...just need to see the start of each region zoomed in close, going region to region to region.

I can't believe there isn't a simple way to tab from region to region on a selected track and have each region (or the start of each region) appear on the screen

But there is: use left arrow to go to next region after you have defined a zoom level you are comfortable with. Just make sure Auto Set Locators is enabled.

Experimented with this last night... it works well enough until you zoom way in, close enough for drum editing. This looks like a bug, because at a certain zoom level, hitting the right arrow causes the display to jump past several regions. If Logic's developers would fix this, I think it would do the job I'm looking for - quickly tabbing thru sliced regions to view/trim the leading edges.

Thanks for all the help with this...

use left arrow to go to next region

right arrow.

Right! :)

at a certain zoom level, hitting the right arrow causes the display to jump past several regions.

Which version are you on? 9.1.4? I tried several times here, both with MIDI and audio regions in 9.1.7 - at max zoom level, and it didn't happen here...

at a certain zoom level, hitting the right arrow causes the display to jump past several regions.

Which version are you on? 9.1.4? I tried several times here, both with MIDI and audio regions in 9.1.7 - at max zoom level, and it didn't happen here...

Tried it here on a 9.0.2 machine, doesn't happen either, it works as expected even at ultra-high zoom levels.