Half of a region is staccato

jabraham

Is there any parameter that would make part of a region staccato? I copied some midi from one instrument to another, and in the new instrument it would NOT play the notes long. It took me about an hour to figure out that if I created a brand new region and moved the notes into there, they played correctly. I deleted the offending region and dragged the new region into place.

The hour I wasted was spent looking at the instrument settings for the channel strip and the midi settings for the notes, and all the other events in the event list. I could find no explanation for the short notes.

My guess is that you're using a plugin/instrument sound that switches which samples are being played based on the presence of a CC message of some kind. Or, the sound could be velocity sensitive and lighter (or heavier) played notes trigger staccato notes. But without knowing exactly which plugin and instrument sound you're referring to, one can only guess.

Is there any parameter that would make part of a region staccato? I copied some midi from one instrument to another, and in the new instrument it would NOT play the notes long. It took me about an hour to figure out that if I created a brand new region and moved the notes into there, they played correctly. I deleted the offending region and dragged the new region into place.

Sounds to me like that region's "Gate" parameter had been set to a setting lower than 100%.

1633625015_Picture1.png.51d7067c2fc0ef0b878e508134a0ccd3.png

From the Logic 9 manual:

Gate Time: The term gate time stems from the technology used in analog synthesizers, and refers to the time between pressing and releasing a key. This parameter affects the absolute note duration or length. This should not be confused with the musical note value, which normally refers to the amount of time until the next note. The practical effect is to make the notes in the region more staccato or legato. The parameter range is related to the original note lengths. Fix produces extreme staccato. Values below 100% shorten the note lengths. Values above 100% lengthen the notes. The “legato” setting produces a completely legato effect for all notes, no matter what their original lengths, eliminating all space between notes in the affected region. If this is used on a folder, all notes in all MIDI regions in the folder are affected.