3k - Need advice on gear!

Hi fellas,

I am seting up a new home studio and thus I need a Mac.

I want to avoid performance issues as much as possible - how much the computer can take and as low latency as possible etc.

Might the Mac Pro be the right choice for me? It would really suck if I purchased something like an iMac or Macbook Pro and after plugging the firewire sound card in, realize that the gear is too weak/getting ennoying latency etc. It really bothers me if it's just a tiny bit of latency. (need to be able to play with synths and plugins active at the same time as hearing it). I'm not really confident in my apple skills so I don't really know HOW good their products are these days so I'm just explaining my vision here...

I'm going to record:

-Club music (house, dubstep, mainstream stuff etc)

-1 audio input at a time but maybe 5-6 maximum playing at the same time (vocals, bass, guitar, percussion etc.. no drum kits)

All of these can obviously be recorded in the same project and being played at the same time.

As I said, I really don't know how good the apple products are these dates and what models that fit to my needs.

I've got around 3k to spend on a computer, but I would PREFER to afford the new logic pro with the 3k. (so, 3k = computer + logic would be the best solution, but if that's impossible, I would have to go with only the computer)

Also, the computer doesn't have to be extremely overpower, it just needs to be able to handle the things I that I want to produce without any issues. As long as it gets the job done, I would be happy.

I also appreciate advice on internal sound cards. Maximum (!) 2 audio recorded at the same time. As low latency as possible in midi/audio.

Newform

Best and most affordable solution to get started:

Logic Pro from the app store: 199

Mac Mini Server: 999

Motu 4 pre or Motu Ultralite (based on inputs you need): 450 - 550

Viewsonic 24'' LED monitor (full HD): 200

Apple keyboard w/ numeric pad: 50

Apple magic mouse (wireless): 70

All this costs approx. 2100 bucks with no mics, but other than that you're ready to go.

Mac mini? That means an external sound interface, wont that cause some latency? I want to be able hear the live recorded sound while im recording, with all plugins etc active on the channel etc. I used to produce on an older powermac with a digi001 interface which worked out quite well, but there was a very small bit of latency which was ennoying sometimes..

I've got more to spend on this anyway so, which one of these two computer do you think does a better job?

mini mac server:

2.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

2X500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

macbook pro:

2,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2 x 4 GB

500 GB seriell ATA-HDD (5400 rpm)

--

How big is really the difference between a mac pro and computers like the above when it comes to produce music like I do? (not a huge amount of audio and not recording channels at the same time)..

I've got a lot of questions I know, thanks for replying man. :-)

Thanks

Mac mini? That means an external sound interface, wont that cause some latency? I want to be able hear the live recorded sound while im recording, with all plugins etc active on the channel etc. I used to produce on an older powermac with a digi001 interface which worked out quite well, but there was a very small bit of latency which was ennoying sometimes..

The Mac mini and all macs, including mac pros and laptops, have an internal sound card. An external sound card is always a better choice because it's meant for music production. It has nothing to do with latency. You'll have latency on internal sound cards also.

Out of the 2 computers you listed I would pick the mac mini because it's cheaper, has 2 internal hard drives and more connecting ports and faster 7200 rpm drives.

A mac pro is meant for people who do a lot of mixing and audio recording and need the expandability options of that computer.

They start new at 2500 bucks with no monitor and only 1 hard drive, so I think the Mini server for 999 is a better choice to start with.

I meant to compare the external sound interface to an internal PCI, not the sound card that comes WITH the machine as default. Like... Being worried about getting noticable latency with an external when maybe could have avoided that with an internal PCI card. I wouldnt want that to happen ;)

I can get less than 4ms with my Motu Ultralite at 44.1 and 32 buffer if I use firewire, and that's pretty darn good.

PCI is of course the best in terms of latency, but the interfaces cost more than a 1000 bucks and it only makes sense if you're recording full band scenarios.