Some note combinations result in no sound on the *2nd* note.

umi

Hello,

I am very new to Logic, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am overlooking something simple, but I have searched Google about 200 different ways, and have yet to come across another instance of this problem...

I am using Logic Pro 9.1.7 on a Mac that seems to be running it just fine, except for this ONE thing...certain, specific key combinations result in the 2nd note (doesn't matter which order) registering with a velocity of 1 (practically no sound).

Specifically:

E2 and C3

F2 and C#3

F#2 and D3

G2 and D#3

G#2 and E3

A2 and F3

A#2 and F#3

B2 and G3

My keyboard (M-Audio Keystudio 49) seems fine, I have absolutely no problem with the keys registering by themselves or with *any* other combination. Polyphony is enabled and working great. But with the specific combinations above, the 2nd note that is played (no matter which order) seems to register only with a velocity of 1, and this ONLY happens if I am already *holding the 1st note* while hitting the 2nd one.

For example:

I hit E2, lift my finger and hit C3: no problem

I hit E2 and C3 *simultaneously*: no problem

I hit E2, and *while holding E2*, hit C3: I keep hearing E2 but nothing for C3.

Another weird thing: C3 (or whatever the 2nd note from the above pairs is) acts as a sustain pedal for E2...i.e. I could let go of E2 and the note will hold until I let go of C3.

This goes the other way round too (hit E2 while holding C3), and with all the combinations listed above. It's always the 2nd note that does not properly register. It's always a velocity of 1 on the 2nd note, and it always acts like a sustain pedal.

I hope I explained the problem well enough.

PLEASE HELP! This is driving me NUTS!

All these pairs are augmented fifths. That probably has something to do with it.

Is this behaviour the same in any Software Instrument? With what instrument have you tested this? Have you tested this on other Logic projects?

But the OP said that it is registering a velocity value of 1 coming in to Logic.

The Software Instrument should not matter in this case.

All these pairs are augmented fifths. That probably has something to do with it.

Is this behaviour the same in any Software Instrument? With what instrument have you tested this? Have you tested this on other Logic projects?

But the OP said that it is registering a velocity value of 1 coming in to Logic.

The Software Instrument should not matter in this case.

Yes, I agree that it is very probably the keyboard, though you can never be sure about things (seeing is believing...) I also wonder where umi looked to see the velocity value? In the Transport MIDI monitor or in an environment monitor? It could be (s)he saw a release value of 1, the strike thru the miniscule note symbol is overlookable...

Can those M-Audio be user updated, firmwarewise? Or maybe they have some sort of "reset" procedure? Also, yet another q. for umi: is it only those notes you listed, or does this happen for any augmented 5th interval?

Thank you both for your quick responses!

This happens with every software instrument, and only on the pairs I mentioned above (I tested every key combination). The velocity for the second note registers as 1 on both the transport MIDI monitor and the environment monitor. Unfortunately, this particular M-Audio cannot be updated firmware-wise (resetting it is as simple as turning it off and then back on). I did, however, download the most recent OS X drivers from M-Audio's website, but they did not make any difference whatsoever.

I guess it could be the M-Audio, but how come I don't have any issues with the keys by themselves, or with other combinations (such as F2 and C3, which plays perfectly)...? I am very new and naive when it comes to Logic, so I certainly don't mean to question your expertise, but my gut (for whatever it's worth) says that it's not the keyboard. But again, what do I know...

Your gut may say it is not the keyboard, but my mind tells me that it is. I think both the Caps Lock test and the "other MIDI program" test will show that (normal behaviour with caps lock, "deviant" behaviour in other MIDI program; that's what I expect.)

It's a fault that can go undetected (people don't like playing augmented fifths' ;) ), but I hope you still have warranty, this appears to be a manufacturing flaw, and you should get a properly working replacement.

Well guys, you were right. The Caps Lock keyboard works fine, and I had the same problem with the M-Audio with another MIDI program (Finale).

Thank you for the quick responses and follow up. I appreciate your help!

Thank you for the quick responses and follow up. I appreciate your help!

You're welcome umi!

It could certainly be a faulty controller but it could also be a power issue.

Do you have the Keystudio connected through a USB hub or directly to the computer?

You can try different ports on your Mac or try switching the USB cable.