Logic 6/7 songs not opening in LogicPro 8 [SOLVED]

Kaycee70

Ok - now I've set up my G4 desktop mac in order to dive into Logic Pro 7 world again... Also downloaded the 7.2.1.dmg file. But the Logic version on the G4 is 7.0.1, which is the last one I used before updating into 8. However Logic Pro 7.2.1 can not be installed because there is no 'eligible version available'. What next? Do I have to pay for a 7.2 upgrade?

I found out that both 7.1 and 7.2 have been chargeable upgrades. It's possible to download the update files but neither one seems to work on top of the 7.0.1. Am I missing something here?

Yeah you're right they were selling those upgrades. I think for only $10 or $20 though. But obviously they're not selling them anymore....

If your Logic license is pre Logic 7.2 (I mean the version you originally bought), you could call Apple and ask them if they can give you a license for the 7.2 download?

I'm curious, if the prompt says "open in 7.2.1 or earlier to convert" will they not open in your version 7.0.1?

You are right, it's probably 'later' not 'earlier'. Wasn't looking at the prompt when posting.

I'll post when I progress on the matter.

KC

Ok, this is interesting.

Opening the old file on LP 7.0.1 prompted that the song was in Logic v.5 format (!). LP 7.0.1 converted it, and after that LP 8 opened it smoothly, no questions asked. Problem solved, thanks for everybody!

Best,

KC

Just to make it clear: the LP 7.0.1 is running on G4 (PPC), LP 8.0.2 on MacBook Pro (Intel).

The prompt that LP 8.0.2 gives on the v.5 song is: "Please load first into Logic Pro version 7.2.1 or earlier to convert the project."

Any version of Logic Pro 7 will make it readable to LP 8, I gather.