Logic Crashes when USB device is plugged in [SOLVED]

RichardCooper

Logic 9.1.7 has recently started crashing when a USB device (USB keyboard, iPod) is plugged in. This only happens when bouncing. Click bounce and the little spinning ball of death appears.

Am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Are my MIDI settings corrupted?

Any help would be much appreciated. It is weird, was very stable until I installed Automap....never again

Logic does NOT like FAT32 formatting. So whenever a USB drive, iPod, or any device that appears (mounts) as a disc on the desktop that is formatted for pc and mac is connected, logic will give you the spinning ball, especially when bouncing because those drives are bounce destination candidates.

Automap also causes a lot of problems, so make sure you have the correct version, or don't use it.

Ok thanks very much for this - very useful to know.

Main issue now is the USB keyboard - that doesn't mount, and has only starting giving problems recently. My wife's profile on the same machine doesn't seem to give the issue, but I want to perservere with my profile, if at all possible. I de-installed auto map (4.3), could something be left behind?

Any advice? I have already tried trashing the CSS and plist for Logic.

Hey Richard, it helps if you can sum up all your system info (including WHAT keyboard we're talking about: manufacturer? model?) in your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

When you say "main issue now is the USB keyboard that doesn't mount", that's no longer the same issue you reported in your original post or in the title of this thread. Is this a new issue (in which case I'll move it to a new thread) or is it related to your original issue? What happened to the original issue, was it resolved? I mean aside from that keyboard, can you now plug in USB devices without Logic crashing?

Hi David,

Sorry, I was unclear. it is the same issue. The previous response addressed crashing when an IPod is attached. It did not address the issue when an USB Keyboard is attached. I meant that a USB keyboard "does not mount" as it is not a drive, unless I am misunderstanding the way USB keyboard attaches. It is Novation Impulse 49. Logic only crashes when bouncing when the keyboard is plugged in. This seems to be a new issue for me. And it starting happening in the last 2-3 weeks - possibly after a Security Update.

I can understand the argument about FAT 32, but Logic is supposed to work with USB keyboards.

Any solution / advise is welcome.

Richard

Are you running automap? If so, try first to uninstall it completely and search for any and all hidden automap files and delete them. I also have a Impulse and only use automap without plug mapping. If you reinstall automap, make sure to use the latest driver or even request a beta from tech support. Your problem may not be automap related, but you have to eliminate the possibility to continue to troubleshoot.

Hi,

This is now resolved. It seems it was Automap. I used the Novation Answerbase to find how to remove all the hidden files (http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=468). Once I did an unwrap and full uninstall, then Logic is ok to bounce when the USB keyboard is plugged in. I also updated the firmware on my Firebox - not sure whether that helped also.

Do you recommend that i try to reinstall Automap without the wrapping and try, so I can still use the faders?

That's what I did and even though sometimes I have to rescan all control surfaces to get transport control back, I do find it useful. By the way, "easyfind" app is free and finds all hidden files very quickly for future reference.