mackie onyx 1220i/m-audio project mix I/O compare

I bought a Mackie onyx 1220i mixer interface without doing enough research. It's actually quite limited functioning with Logic Pro9. Now I learn about the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. My question is, would it be worth getting the ProjectMix and sell the Mackie?

What I want to do: Be able to use the mixer faders for recording (IN) and mixing (out).

The Mackie IN is only controlled by the input level knob. Firewire to Logic input. Output from Logic to Mackie through firewire, output from Mackie is analog. The faders on the Mackie are relatively useless except for balancing multi-channel playback and recording channels in phones for overdubbing. Mixing down must be done w onscreen faders in Logic. One good thing about this setup is I had no sync problems monitoring the headphone output of the mixer.

What I gather about the ProjectMix I/O is that it's both an analog mixer AND a control surface for Logic. Does this mean I can use the faders on the ProjectMix to control the input channels while recording AND use the faders to mix down, including physical fader automation? Would this be similar monitor function for overdubbing using only the mixer/headphone out?

I can't believe I overlooked the M-Audio and bought the Onyx which now cost approx. the same.

Thanks in advance.

Hey buttervideo,

I bought a Mackie onyx 1220i mixer interface without doing enough research. It's actually quite limited functioning with Logic Pro9. Now I learn about the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. My question is, would it be worth getting the ProjectMix and sell the Mackie?

I would say forget about both and consider something else. ;)

What I want to do: Be able to use the mixer faders for recording (IN) and mixing (out).

What do you want those mixer faders to control: recording level? monitoring level? playback level? What are you typically recording, which instruments, how many simultaneous mics etc?

Logic already HAS a mixer. There's no reason to buy another one unless it does something specific that Logic's mixer can't do.

So unless you already knew all this and know exactly why you need another mixer (remember, you have Logic, so you already own a mixer), I'd recommend you forget about getting another mixer. If you don't like using the mouse and the screen to adjust your levels, you could consider a control surface such as the Mackie Control Universal.

PS: Hope you're enjoying reading my book! :D

Thanks David. Advice is good. Your book is awesome and has helped plenty with learning Logic. I like the printed page on a music stand, right by the screen. I have a second monitor that I keep the tutorial and help pages on. Geezers need all the help they can get.