Tempo dependant Video

Jazzbo1206

Hi there,

I understand there's been a few mentions of this topic but through most of the posts I never really discovered an answer. So to just reiterate I am composing music to film. Imported my film and created scene markers. Whenever i change tempo the markers no longer line up which says either the video is speeding up/slowing down with respect to the tempo or the start time is changing, but i think it's the former. How do I stop this from happening? With the default tempo still set at 120 i'm pretty sure I cannot compose a score that is 120bpm throughout!

This is an incredibly annoying feature and I really want to stop it so is there either a way of turning this off or locking the video in position?

I've now locked my markers to smpte so they now move with respect to the video but I, for obvious reasons, want to stop this rediculous feature and fix my video in place without it stretching/squashing with repsect to tempo changes so that when I later come to bouncing the whole score, it'll still match up to the final cut.The sooner i get this fixed the better as I am, as with many, set by a deadline.

Regards

You can SMPTE-lock markers tho. Go into the marker list or the global marker track, select all of your markers, and SMPTE-lock them.

That aside, are you saying that the video actually speeds up/slows down when you change the tempo? I've never seen that behavior in Logic, so I don't know what you're seeing there.

created scene markers

How did you create your scene markers? Are they just regular markers you created manually that you call "scene markers"? Because real scene markers are automatically locked to SMPTE.

You can SMPTE-lock markers tho.

And that's most likely what marcperi meant.

Jazzbo, as ski said, your video does not move/shorten/lengthen as you change tempo, it is just the way display things that changes. Notice that when you change tempo, in Logic the grid stays the same, but the playhead simply moves slower or faster over the grid. So the video appears to be longer or shorter - to compensate for the playhead speed. In fact the video always plays at the same original speed (Logic does not have the capability of changing the playback speed of a video).

You can SMPTE-lock markers tho.

And that's most likely what marcperi meant.

That's what I meant he probably meant. :shock: :)

Scene markers are just regular markers that get automatically SMPTE-locked upon creation. If you were to select a scene marker and apply the unlock-SMPTE function to it, it will become a regular marker. In short, a marker is a marker. If they sport a little "film frame" icon, that's just an indication that they were created by using the Detect Scene function.