mono, want stereo

edurbrow

Delete the pan? But I want to pan the guitar and piano L and R. I can't get audio to pan either. Moving the pan knob of any track seems to have no effect.

You are trying to use Track Based Pan Automation yes? If you have any Region Based Pan Automation they will conflict with each other.

Did you check your regions for Pan Automation Events in the Event List as I suggested above?

840607675_Picture2.png.d87ab221298cd088f45499437859ece0.png

Well it wasn't called master channel strip, it was something like heavy master and there was just one meter column in it. The Master is in the Mixer, and Out 1-2 is there too. The master doesn't have the little circle or circles to choose mono/stereo.

If I may, one more question. I cannot seem to get stereo. I have several instruments panned L or R but everything sounds mono. My output shows stereo. I don't get it.

I wish you had taken a screenshot during playback so we could see signal on the meters.

Just take a single instrument and pan it left. Start playback.

- Do you see the pan automatically revert to center?

- Do you see an even amount of signal on the meters of your track?

- Do you see an even amount of signal on the meters of your Stereo Output channel strip?

A screenshot (during playback, with meters active) would help.

If I may, one more question. I cannot seem to get stereo. I have several instruments panned L or R but everything sounds mono. My output shows stereo. I don't get it.

Just take a single instrument and pan it left. Start playback.

- Do you see the pan automatically revert to center?

No.

- Do you see an even amount of signal on the meters of your track?

No.

- Do you see an even amount of signal on the meters of your Stereo Output channel strip?

Yes.

A screenshot (during playback, with meters active) would help.

Attached.

And thank you.

188429090_arrangepanprob.thumb.jpg.adcc0ba6c88cc1db38d430e101be2642.jpg

Delete the pan? But I want to pan the guitar and piano L and R. I can't get audio to pan either. Moving the pan knob of any track seems to have no effect.

You are trying to use Track Based Pan Automation yes? If you have any Region Based Pan Automation they will conflict with each other.

Did you check your regions for Pan Automation Events in the Event List as I suggested above?

When I open the event list, even if I try to open it from a menu, lots of events are there from all tracks. Filtering everything does nothing to thin out the data.

1265982097_ScreenShot2012-05-19at8_59_09PM.png.8f3893b8203de1ac8ecd3cb598a79784.png

When I open the event list, even if I try to open it from a menu, lots of events are there from all tracks. Filtering everything does nothing to thin out the data.

What you are seeing in your last screenshot are regions, their position, name, track that they are on and their length.

You need to:

Select a MIDI region on one of the effected tracks and open the Event List. Look for Pan events, select and delete them.

Filter the Notes and Additional Info (like in my screenshot above) so you can easily spot Pan Events. If you find some, select and delete them from the Event List.

By the way, when you're viewing the Regions in the Event List as you were in your screenshot you can Double Click any of those regions (in the Event List) to view the MIDI data within the region.

READ: Getting to Know the Event List

You are trying to use Track Based Pan Automation yes?

I'm not sure. I only moved the pan knob in the inspector. That would be track based, right?

If you have any Region Based Pan Automation they will conflict with each other.

How would they conflict? If you had one set L and the other R would they end up in the middle?

Now I didn't set any automation... I don't think, anyway..., but when I turn on automation view by hitting A, I can see a black line at the bottom of the piano track which would correspond to panned all the way to the right. It would be colored if I had set it there, right? I later tried dragging a pan line and it is green. Now I'm not sure what the black line at the bottom was.

Yes, I could get an edit window for the midi piano track and could not find any pan data. I couldn't find anything but pedal sustains. With that edit window open, I clicked on the audio guitar track and the edit window changed, but it shows data for all tracks. So I guess you can't view events such as audio regions, pan and volume data in an edit window for an audio track, no?

A couple of times it happened that if I double clicked on a region in the midi piano track, while it was stopped, and then hit play, it would play panned to the right, but that didn't work while it was playing. And I couldn't reliably do that. It only happened twice.

I did a bounce of this file and it was mono.

I soloed the piano and I can see signal only on the right of that track in the inspector, yet the Out 1-2 has both channels. You can make out the black line on the bottom of the track in the pic, I think.

1547028155_panroutboth.jpg.42fdc369781c25b0bea8d116d3bb58e3.jpg

You are trying to use Track Based Pan Automation yes?

I'm not sure. I only moved the pan knob in the inspector. That would be track based, right?

Sorry Ed. My mistake referring to Track Based Automation. You obviously are not trying to Automate the Pan just Pan it.

If you have any Region Based Pan Automation they will conflict with each other.

How would they conflict?

Region Based Pan (and Track Based Pan, if you were using it) will override your Pan settings in the Inspector. And if you were trying to use Track Based Automation when there is Region Based Automation present they would not work together. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I could get an edit window for the midi piano track and could not find any pan data. I couldn't find anything but pedal sustains. With that edit window open, I clicked on the audio guitar track and the edit window changed, but it shows data for all tracks. So I guess you can't view events such as audio regions, pan and volume data in an edit window for an audio track, no?

Correct. Audio regions will not contain MIDI events or Controller data.