sidechained gate

just wanna lose my virginity ))

Then let's start with something fun: GATING.

Take a track that has a sustained kind of sound - vocals are great for this, but something sustained like a loooong "oooooooh" or something like that. You could simply use a synth track with a sustained chord.

Insert a Noise gate on that track's channel strip.

Create a new software instrument track. Insert "Klopfgeist" as the instrument and set the output of that track to a bus. Logic automatically creates an Aux for that bus: delete that Aux, you do not want to keep it.

Now in the Noise gate on the vocal/synth track, set the sidechain menu to the bus chosen as the output for the Klopfgeist.

Make sure the Klopfgeist track is record-enabled, press play AND play some notes. You will be gating the vocal/synth track with your keyboard. You can only hear the track when you play a note.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a track that has a sustained kind of sound - vocals are great for this, but something sustained like a loooong "oooooooh" or something like that. You could simply use a synth track with a sustained chord.

Create a new software instrument track. Insert "Klopfgeist" as the instrument and set the output of that track to a bus. Logic automatically creates an Aux for that bus: delete that Aux, you do not want to keep it.

Now in the Noise gate on the vocal/synth track, set the sidechain menu to the bus chosen as the output for the Klopfgeist.

Make sure the Klopfgeist track is record-enabled, press play AND play some notes. You will be gating the vocal/synth track with your keyboard. You can only hear the track when you play a note.

I just lost my sidechaining gate virginity. yey !!

but i found that its better to use a sustained sound such as the default preset of EXS 24 (sub bass), with adjusted sustain

vocoder next ))

yeah, here is what i did for my new remix i just finished. it worked nice. I needed to break down guitar part and I thought this was the time to lose my virginity.))

I attach the visual for other "virgins" where the top track is being triggered by the midi below via sidechained gate inserted on the audio track. I have audio too but I am not able to upload it at this time

1712447379_Screenshot2012-06-19at5_37_26PM.png.30c5079b04fec995e82a2625fa5ab0da.png

something sustained like a loooong "oooooooh" or something like that. You could simply use a synth track with a sustained chord.

but i found that its better to use a sustained sound

Not sure why you said "but"? :? But I agree. :mrgreen:

but you was saying about the chord being triggered )) but it's ok))

but you was saying about the chord being triggered )) but it's ok))

AAaah I get it. :lol: Ok you're right if you want to be able to play with the length of the "slices" then using a sustained sound as the trigger sound is going to work better than using the Klopfgeist. Definitely.

Cool thing is, once you understand the concept, the idea, there are no limits. Just try it with all sorts of sounds, all sorts of noise gate settings, etc.... LOADS of fun.

Slightly off topic, but something I've always been curious about- is there a way to directly MIDI control a gate within Logic? Or is the only way to do this with the default inserts to have a sound be your sidechain and simply keep it out of your output/master bus?

As another side-note, gating the crap out of things is a technique goa/psychedelic-trance group Infected Mushroom uses religiously, especially on vocals, take a listen to one of their newer tracks–

–and the making of–

Now, have I derailed the thread enough yet?

Yes, you can use MIDI to control a gate. For example with Ultrabeat. The routing is opposite: you choose the audio track to be gated in the sidechain menu of Ultrabeat, and you play Ultrabeat with MIDI notes that open the gate, leaving the audio come through.

Start with the "Side Chain Gate" preset, turn on the step sequencer, pick an audio track from the sidechain menu and let the fun start. Or turn off the step sequencer and play notes on your keyboard instead.

• 1 month later...

Was just thinking about this recently and WAS going to start a thread to ask about gating, but I searched instead (you're welcome mods etc :wink: ).

My Question was going to be, what is the most efficient/tight software instrument to use for a gate; with the tightest attack/release etc? I have been using the es1 with full sus, full decay, no attack, no release for years now (as that is what was used in the tutorial I watched years ago on how to gate) with acceptable results but I was just wondering what is the absolute best soft-synth for the job?

I know here David you've suggested the Klopfgeist, so I would assume that this is the best thing for the job, but, as I'm sure you appreciate, assumption is the mother of all f%$k ups; so, I'm asking, what is the best thing for the job of tight gating?

Muchos Gracias :)