Axiom 49: Assigning sounds to pads. [SOLVED]

LMynx

I have used this forum quite a bit and must say thanks to all of you for your contributions. I usually can find the solution to any problem I am having without the need to post a question.

I have an Axiom 49 2nd Generation midi controller. Generally, it does everything I want it to without any manual setup. But, what I can't seem to find out how to do is to assign specific sounds to the 8 pads. Whether assigning a single drum hit from Ultrabeat or EXS, or an entire sample from the latter, I'm having trouble making it happen.

I'm sure there is some simple method for achieving this, so if anyone out there that uses the Axiom in conjunction with Logic could help me out, I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!

LMynx

Edited by LMynx

what I can't seem to find out how to do is to assign specific sounds to the 8 pads.

Don't think of it as assigning sounds to pads - not anymore than you assign sounds to keys when you play a keyboard. Instead, your keyboard's keys (and pads alike) send MIDI Note on events to Logic, and in Logic those Note on events trigger certain sounds in the chosen instrument. The instrument doesn't care whether the note comes from hitting a pad or pressing on a key. Same thing.

So when hitting a pad or pressing a key, your controller sends a MIDI Note on. You can see the event in the Transport bar in Logic, and it will give you its pitch. If you're triggering drums, different pitches play different instruments. Play the keys on your keyboard: C1 will play a kick, D1 a snare, F#1 a closed hi-hat etc. Now play the pads: they, to, play certain notes such as C1, D1 etc..., which trigger certain instruments.

If the instrument you like is the one that plays when you play, let's say, a B2 key, then you need to program your Axiom so one of the pads sends a B2 Note on event.

To program the pads on the Axiom: hit a pad, press EDIT, then '2', then navigate to the 'Note' parameter and change it.

I'm sure there is some simple method for achieving this, so if anyone out there that uses the Axiom in conjunction with Logic could help me out, I'd be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!

LMynx

In addition to what David said, and as an Axiom 49 user, I would recommend that you also be aware that the pads can output on one channel (channel 10 for example) while the keyboard is outputting on a different channel. This way, you can still use your keys as usual, while the pads are exclusively used for your drum triggering.

Use Enigma to save the setups. It will take some digging into the Enigma software manual to figure it out... but it's worth it.

@David

Thanks so much for the quick and thorough reply, David. That makes sense to think in terms of Note on events rather than sounds. Also, I just finished your book and found it to be great learning aid. Thanks for a well laid out and interesting approach to getting involved with Logic.

@treeboxterry

Thanks for the tip. I will look into it!

I consider my particular issue in this thread solved. Thanks again.

LMynx

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

I have the same question as LMynx, only I don't know how to actually change the value of the 'Note' field, as mentioned in your line:

To program the pads on the Axiom: hit a pad, press EDIT, then '2', then navigate to the 'Note' parameter and change it.

Please advise when convenient.

Thanks!

I don't know how to actually change the value of the 'Note' field, as mentioned in your line:

At the bottom of the LCD screen on the Axiom there are 4 "soft keys" (hardware buttons that have a legend in the LCD display. Like this:

Exit ↓ ↑ Enter

Press the arrows to navigate the different parameters, then the numeric pad on the left of the Axiom to enter a new value for a parameter.