Mainstage utilizes CPU on all unused instruments

ianross

I am SO BUMPED to discover Mainstage utilizes CPU on channel strips with instruments loaded even if they're not being played.

Logic does not work like this. To test:

Just load an instrument into Mainstage and duplicate it and you'll see the CPU meter increase. Do the same thing in Logic and you'll notice the CPU meter stays at ZERO..

Can anyone tell me if I can change this behavior in Mainstage to function just as Logic does??

I really wanna use Mainstage. Love the keyboard splits!!

Would be soo appreciative of any help.

Ian Ross

Just load an instrument into Mainstage and duplicate it and you'll see the CPU meter increase. Do the same thing in Logic and you'll notice the CPU meter stays at ZERO..

Logic probably doesn't put them in "live" mode. Logic only does so, if you record-enable it. In MainStage all channel strips in a patch have to be live, because you want a live latency. MainStage doesn't have "track" which are played back, where the app could internally increase the latency to improve the CPU load. These different usage scenarios and both are correct.

Logic does not work like this.

Hey Ian,

That's the whole reason Apple created MainStage! So that you have a version of Logic (which is really all MainStage is) where all your instruments are constantly in live mode, so you can play any of them at any time without worrying about latency issues on the first note (as in Logic).

There's no way to change that behavior. Logic was designed with CPU efficiency in mind (anything unused is placed in non-live mode when possible to save CPU resources), while MainStage was designed with live use in mind (everything is always live even if that means using more CPU).