Solo'ing frequency bands

alexfsu

Is there a way to just hear the information manipulated in a particular EQ band in Logic? For instance, if I boost at 500hz at 6db, is there a way to only listen to the sound inside that boost? Hope I'm making sense.

Duplicate the track, its regions, and any automation. Add a gain plug on this track and set the phase buttons, making the track out of phase with the original. Solo both tracks.

At this point you're going to hear silence. However, when you boost that band, it will create a difference between the tracks and you'll end up hearing only that part of the audio which you're boosting with the EQ.

Is there a way to just hear the information manipulated in a particular EQ band in Logic? For instance, if I boost at 500hz at 6db, is there a way to only listen to the sound inside that boost? Hope I'm making sense.

Duplicate the track, its regions, and any automation. Add a gain plug on this track and set the phase buttons, making the track out of phase with the original. Solo both tracks.

At this point you're going to hear silence. However, when you boost that band, it will create a difference between the tracks and you'll end up hearing only that part of the audio which you're boosting with the EQ.

Thanks, ski, I was actually just watching a vid on that very technique, and under the comments someone mentioned that in Pro Tools you could just shift-option-click on the "dot" of a band and it would solo it. Just wondering if Logic had anything similar....

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks! I had been wondering about this for a while now, and I never thought I would find such a quick and elegant solution! Thanks a ton!

Easily the most helpful site I've ever encountered regarding music production. Jordito, David, and Ski are the Three Wise Men of Logic Pro!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Someone mentioned that you can use the multipressor to do this but I can't see how. I have the lowest band soloed with the crossover set at 27HZ and I'm still hearing a lot of "bleed" somehow, I guess from the second band even though it's turned off. Theoretically I should hear nothing.