Capture as Recording overwrites previous recording?

rainstick

Sometimes ill be playing around and use rec capture.... but then if i want to carry on messing about i have to duplicate the track and record onto that otherwise next time i rec capture it'll overwrite the last thing i did... is there anyway to get it not to do this, ? so that it'll layer the recording's rather than replacing them every time, ?

cheers

i tried this but it still does the same thing..... It doesn't get rid of what was previously there (as i originally thought) but it seems to make me choose between having what was there before i captured the recording or the the captured recording, where as i want to have the two together...

What you're describing is not the default behavior. Let's go to an empty project, create only one software instrument track, choose a basic piano sound, and do the simple test:

1) Press play and play a few short notes in a high range.

2) Capture the recording.

3) Press play and play a sustained chord in a low range. You should hear the short high notes from the previous recording as you play this chord?

4) Capture the recording.

Playback the track: you should hear both the short high notes and the low sustained chord play together.

doesn't work for me - although there are a couple of things...

It work's so long as there aren't a few cycles recorded in the capture... if it becomes a folder then it overwrites what was previously there...

It does work if it's just one take - but i very rarely one take (! ha...) And partly because i don't really know what I'm doing alot of the time when i capture record - im just playing about with things, then something that i like might have been played on the 5th / 6th cycle or whatever, then it overwrites the previous recording...

Is there anyway round this, ? Is this normal, ?

cheers