"Drive/partition Macintosh HD is full" error

the_altitude

Howdy,

My name is Dantes and I am pretty new to the Logic world (but lovin' it!) and I am having a bit of a problem. Here's what's going on:

I will be recording a project when suddenly I get an error message saying "Drive/partition Macintosh HD is full." Sometimes this will make my 2012 MacBook Pro (which has 500 GB of memory) stop recording mid-take (arrrgh!). Being new to Logic Pro 9, I go to the internet and search my error message and it tells me to empty my downloads folder and trash (securely). I do this and I am good for about one or two more takes and then the same message.

Ok, so this morning I am looking at all my music files in my Finder window and I see I have hundreds (thousands?) of .aif files. I recognize many of these as deleted takes so I know the problem is pilot error (read: me - I know I am doing something wrong).

Being new to Logic Pro, I know I carried some bad habits from GarageBand with me. Namely, when I blow a take, I hit the delete key, I get a dialogue box saying, "Do you want to permanently delete this file? Operation can't be undone," I say yes - get rid of it." This is what I would do in GarageBand with bad takes. But now I am seeing all of these .aif files piling up in the Music folder.

So here are my questions:

1. How do I get rid of all of the unnecessary and useless .aif files without getting rid of the takes I want to keep?

2. What should I do with bad takes? I am still learning the finer points between "flattening" and "merge and flatten."

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Dantes

Hi Dantes,

Even though you want to get rid of bad takes (and free up HD space in the process), the fact that you're getting this message signals more problems are on their way. It's generally recommended that you maintain at least 20 - 25% of free hard drive space just so that your system can even run properly! If you don't have enough space then you can experience app and system crashes.

The other thing is that when working with Logic (or really, any DAW) that you have a separate "project drive" to which you record audio and save your projects. There are tons of threads here on LPH about this, but in short, all you need to do is get an external FW drive (not USB) and use that for recording projects from now on. In fact, you can move your existing projects there too and get them off your internal HD.

As far as knowing which files to delete, you'll have to go through each song one at a time to decide what to keep and what to delete. There's no other way to do it. But seeing as you're running out of space now, I'd strongly suggest you get two external hard drives: one for projects (Firewire), and another to which you're going to back up your entire internal hard drive (that can be a less expensive USB drive). Back your system up before you start deleting files (you owe it to yourself to have at least one backup copy of your existing projects; in the event you accidentally delete a needed file -- and that can happen when doing cleanup -- you'll at least have a copy on the backup).

See, I knew there was a reason I took the time to post on this site. Sounds like good advice to me. I have already started going through and manually deleting files. It's a pain but I figured that was the only way to make sure I don't delete the decent tracks. I am pretty confident I can set up Logic to save to an external drive and now I finally get to use that FW slot! I have always wondered what the hell that thing was for and now I know!

Cool. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!