A few drum quantizing questions.

Greazygeo_71

Hi....first post here. Looking for a little help.

I'm running Logic 8 and trying to fix a drum track. The track consists of kick, snare, tom 1, tom 2, tom 3 and two overheads...tempo is 120 about a 6 minute metal tune.

I've been trying to quantize using the audio to score/ beat map stuff i found on here and Youtube. I can mostly get it to work. The results just haven't been of much use yet. The kick track is pretty typical 16 note double bass stuff. I go thru the audio to score stuff to get the midi notes on each of the tracks except the overheads. When I get to the part of using the scissor tool to make the cuts, there are a lot of sections that are quite long mixed in with the cut beats. On those long sections, they dont get quantized. What do I do to correct that?

Also alot of posts seem to use the kick and snare to create the triggers. What do you do with the rest of the tracks (especially the overheads)? Are they not cut up?

I'm just getting into editing, so all this is new to me.

Thanks for the info I've gathered so far.

Geo

Are the drums really out of time?

If they are, I'd suggest buying Logic 9 so you can flex the tracks. The drum mics might not be too much hassle to edit, but getting the overheads to match without screwing up the cymbal's sustain tails sounds like a total nightmare to me.

If they're not, I'd suggest beat mapping to the drums, then record/input midi to the resulting tempo map.

Are the drums really out of time?

If they are, I'd suggest buying Logic 9 so you can flex the tracks. The drum mics might not be too much hassle to edit, but getting the overheads to match without screwing up the cymbal's sustain tails sounds like a total nightmare to me.

If they're not, I'd suggest beat mapping to the drums, then record/input midi to the resulting tempo map.

Thanks for the reply!

It's mainly the kick that gets a little out. There is one 4 bar section that speeds up for some reason. There are long sections of steady 16 notes. The fills are ok. Can I just beat map the kick track only?

There is a good Youtube video I've been following, but he doesnt use any overhead tracks. Don't know what to do with them.

Can I just beat map the kick track only?

It depends how much of the kick is coming through the other channels, and vice-versa. You could EQ the others to take as much of the kick out as possible without ruining the sound, then you might get away with it.

I tried that last nite and it was ok in some spots and sounded like double hits in others. I also tried doing tracks one at a time and that ended up totally messed up.

I saw in another Youtube video about doing small sections at a time. I must have done something wrong. My section that was in the middle ended up placed way out after the end of the tune. How do you guys only do small sections?

You have to group the tracks with the overheads so that everything moves together. Try moving 4 beats at a time. If that sounds too drastic, switch to 2 beats, or one beat.
That's what I just started doing this morning. Decided on 2 beat sections....grouped the 5 tracks and cut with the scissor tool. Manually moved things around using the x-fade setting in the drag window. Took a long time, but it sounds pretty good.

Some of the sections were too far apart for the automatic crossfade to work, so I switched the cursor to the crossfade tool and drew them in each track. Is there a way to do those manual crossfades one section at a time but all five tracks at once?

Sorry I'm so new at this. Thanks for the help!