Auto Demix and Environment objects not working

tall paul

Hello

I am using Logic 8 in live situations, triggering different midi/software instruments with controllers,

I need to check Auto Demix in recording settings, to trigger different instruments on different tracks,

but environment objects like Chord memoriser wont work

unless I uncheck this box.

Anyone know of a work around? Is this still the case in Logic 9?

Many thanks

Anyone know of a work around?

Assuming you don't need to record the MIDI data triggering your instruments, you could route the incoming data from your controllers' MIDI ports directly to the channel strips hosting the instruments in the environment.

Is this still the case in Logic 9?

Don't know, haven't checked.

J.

Sure, do this:

- Choose Window > Environment.

- At the top left of the Environment, choose the "Click and Ports" layer.

- Choose New > Monitor.

- Option-drag the new monitor object to copy it.

- Cable one of the MIDI sources (from the Physical Input object) into Monitor 1.

- Cable the second MIDI source into Monitor 2.

- Option-click the output of Monitor 1 and choose Mixer > Instruments > Inst 1.

- Option-click the output of Monitor 2 and choose Mixer > Instruments > Inst 2.

routing.png.2a5eedc0b140c50211b29ae88d283e09.png

You don't really need the monitors but they're handy to ensure data's coming in.

Keep in mind that the port order can change in the physical input object, so always re-check the connections whenever you open the project.

J.

Ok thanks Ill try this. Then when it comes to other objects (I want a chord memoriser and a arpeggiator. Do I need to connect these new tracks the same way, and will the auto demix switch, still have no effect in this routing setup?

Thanks so musch again. Paul

Then when it comes to other objects (I want a chord memoriser and a arpeggiator. Do I need to connect these new tracks the same way, and will the auto demix switch, still have no effect in this routing setup?

New tracks? Not sure what you mean by "tracks" here as we are not really using any in this scenario (well, you did create software instrument tracks in order to have the software instrument channel strips available).

If you make the direct connections shown above, and you wanted to process the MIDI data with other objects, you'd put them somewhere between the physical input object and the software instrument channel strip objects.

J.

Thanks Jordito I figured it out cool Thank you again!!!

Alright! But the connections are a little weird in your screenshot. The way you got things set up, all ports except the one labeled "MPK mini" are being routed through the chord memorizer and the arpeggiator (because you're using the SUM port, which outputs data from all ports that don't have a cable connected to them).

But maybe that's what you wanted, after all?

J.

Yep I see ... told you I was a beginner at this!

However in this shot, I have 2 midi controllers connected Softstep Port 1, and i2M Port2.

However the i2M seems to be working on Port 1, and the Softstep only works on Port 4. What's going on here???

Unless each triangle does not correspond to Sum 1 2 3 4 for each triangle from the top going down ? Maybe I'm not reading this correctly? Thanks

environ2.jpg.1236e08a86a03691517e9dc8f2fd618f.jpg

However in this shot, I have 2 midi controllers connected Softstep Port 1, and i2M Port2.

I see a i2M musicport and a Softstep Share port, can't see a Port 1 or Port 2 for none of them.

However the i2M seems to be working on Port 1, and the Softstep only works on Port 4. What's going on here???

Not sure what you mean...are you now talking about the ports in the channel splitter?

I have no clue what's supposed to be coming from your devices (what data and on how many channels) so I can't really help you with that.

J.

I'm talking about the Physical Input . I thought the little triangles from top to bottom would correspond to Ports - Sum 1 2 3 etc, but each triangle relates to the label written alternately on left and right . So from top, SUM is 1st triangle, I2m is 2nd, Port 1 is 3rd, Port 2 is 4th, Softstep 5th, Keyboard 6th. This had me confused at first. !!!

P S what is Port 1 and Port 2. (May be from the softstep that has 3 Ports, Softshare sscom1 sscom2) I have much to learn about Midi.... Thanks again

SUM is 1st triangle, I2m is 2nd, Port 1 is 3rd, Port 2 is 4th, Softstep 5th, Keyboard 6th.

Yeah, you got it.

P S what is Port 1 and Port 2. (May be from the softstep that has 3 Ports, Softshare sscom1 sscom2)

Check in the Audio MIDI Setup utility (Applications/Utilities....you may need to go to Window > Show MIDI Window once there), there it's pretty clear to see how many ports each device has.

J.