Any way to recover recorded tracks after closing project?

joshuac

Hello. I did a bunch of audio punches to a guitar track in a tune. I started getting all kinds of error messages, so I finally closed the document without saving. Apparently, I hadn't saved in a while (yes, very stupid), so I lost some good recordings. I believe the audio files are still somewhere on the hard drive. But, of course, I would have to figure out how to import them and put them in their proper place. Is this doable? What would be the best way to try and recover what I had done? They are improvised solos that I was happy with, so it will not be easy to recreate. Thanks.

Your audio files will, in all likelihood, be located in your project folder. Pull them in to a backup copy of your project (drag them directly to the arrangement from the Finder or, add them to the audio bin first and then drag them to tracks in your arrangement). Then select all of those regions in the arrangement and use the "region to original record position" function.

Thank you. The files need to be part of a Comp folder (I believe that's the terminology). I dragged them from the Bin to the arrangement and it gave me the option of creating new tracks, using the existing tracks, or placing all in one track. I put them all in one track. But they are now overlapping each other, rather than being on separate lines as a comp folder would display them for quick swiping. How can I get them in the folder and in the correct position for quick swiping?

Don't know how to do that, as I never use take folders.

That said, since you now have a mess on your hands, delete those regions from the arrangement. Now drag them back in and when it asks you want you want to do, say "create new tracks". At least you won't have a mess on your hands. Maybe someone else can then chime in with how to pack those tracks in a take folder.