Digital clipping is annoying, help please?

MikeThomas

I'm coming from the analog world and most of the digital recording I have done in the past has been to a stand alone hard disc recorder. I recently just set up a very basic logic rig, (I say basic because I have just a cheap two channel interface). Anyway when I record demos I'll start with two tracks, one of the tracks will be myself either playing keys or guitar and the other track will be for the main lead vocal. I set my levels and capture these initial two tracks just fine. I then like to overdub say a double tracked second lead vocal or double up the rhythm guitar. My problem is by the time I get to laying down track 3 I begin to get clipping. So I obviously check all my levels everything from the input gain on my interface to all the levels in logic. I turn them all way down and I still get the clipping. So I'm wondering if it could be some sort of a latency issue? Because the clipping isn't a typical gain is to high distortion clip. It is more of a crackling digital clip sound. The other reason I think it could be some type of latency issue is because I am running the program on a very basic macbook. It isn't a pro but just a regular macbook (however it has the most recent style one piece silver with black keys). And it has the original OS it came with. I purchased the computer as a new old stock model from 2008 so it is running OS 10.58. Oh and if it matters I'm using Logic Express 9 not the full on program. Any help with this clip would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure clipping is one of the top help questions that you guys probably get all the time? I'm a sound guy with many years experience and it just doesn't make sense to me that all the levels are way down even lower then the first two tracks that recorded perfectly and I'm all of a sudden getting clipping? Again I would greatly appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks again.

Mike.

Hi, read this article by Holger Lagerfeldt:

Guide to Levels in Digital Audio

I purchased the computer as a new old stock model from 2008 so it is running OS 10.5.8. Oh and if it matters I'm using Logic Express 9

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

J.