Help needed with analog summing out of Logic 8

estebanblanco

Ok, so what was the problem again? :)

Ha! I know. The problem...

I want listen ONLY to what is going into Track 6 from the Mackie's 2-channel mains out. But I'm also hearing all Tracks 1, 2 & 3 playing out through Logic's Master. At least, I THINK that's where I'm hearing/seeing Tracks 1, 2 & 3 come from.

Eventually, I want to be able to mess with what the Mackie sends out its 2-channel mains. Let's say I've completed all my stem mixing. I know have 3 or 4 pairs of stereo stems that will end up as my final song, in Logic. In between the Mackie and the Presonus I'd like to be able to place preamps & other hardware dynamic processors while I finalize the final 2-channel mix before sending that back into Logic to be recorded/printed.

This is looking as though I will need to use my 2-channel field recorder as a master recording device, sending all of these 2-channel stem mixes (and then my final mix) and then move the two audio files from the recorder back into Logic to print a final WAV file.

Ok, I'm a little lost now, so what was the problem again? :)

The worst part of all this is that I'm now second-guessing what I've been listening to ITB when I do mixdowns. Is there something fubar in Logic's installation that is doing something off-spec with routing to Master or otherwise? Oy...

The best way to find out what you're hearing is muting your grouped tracks on at a time.

If the external routing is correct, which it looks like it is, then soloing the desired track should give you the incoming signal to that track.

The only potential issue you might encounter is phasing issues between the Logic tracks and what's being routed out and back in.

That's why good XLR or TRS cables and good quality external hardware are preferred.

I know from personal experience that good external hardware can make a difference, but you have to be thorough in your routing and use good cabling. Everything outside the box will add some sort of barely audible noise, but it can be beneficial for the end product. It all depends of course on the circumstances, music style or goals.

You're on the right track. Logic is very customizable, so make sure your routing is correct.

The best way to find out what you're hearing is muting your grouped tracks on at a time.

If the external routing is correct, which it looks like it is, then soloing the desired track should give you the incoming signal to that track.

The only potential issue you might encounter is phasing issues between the Logic tracks and what's being routed out and back in.

That's why good XLR or TRS cables and good quality external hardware are preferred.

I know from personal experience that good external hardware can make a difference, but you have to be thorough in your routing and use good cabling. Everything outside the box will add some sort of barely audible noise, but it can be beneficial for the end product. It all depends of course on the circumstances, music style or goals.

You're on the right track. Logic is very customizable, so make sure your routing is correct.

I believe I've found where the problem lies. The manual I have for the Presonus is the original manual. The new manual which I downloaded and looked at this morning shows something interesting. There is the capability and necessity to configure the Presonus, via Universal Controller, for custom routing per project in the DAW being used. I know my drivers are up to date but I'm going to run through the process of customization of routing tonight. This is the cost of using a Firewire interface instead of more expensive convertor hard wired to a higher end recording console. But I am going to run through this config in Universal Control tonight.

As for cabling I know I'm solid there. Gain staging is good as I keep levels at bare minimum so as to know that mixing OTB isn't simply messing up what I want anyway.

And hey, aren't we fortunate that we have Shiv eating popcorn and being our technical spectator? Man, he's so lucky to be able to spend the time (futile) watching you guys help me while doing nothing to contribute to either his production or helping someone else do the same. What a remarkable human being he is.