Active studio monitors. Which ones?

Hi i'm currently studying a music technology course and i have now purchased a mac mini and logic for home use. I'm wanting to buy some active monitors for my home studio but i don't know which ones to buy. I'm willing to pay about 130 maximum. Can anyone please help.

Thanks, Thomas

Hi i'm currently studying a music technology course and i have now purchased a mac mini and logic for home use. I'm wanting to buy some active monitors for my home studio but i don't know which ones to buy. I'm willing to pay about 130 maximum. Can anyone please help.

Thanks, Thomas

:shock:

You might as well get a set of headphones with that!

What will you be using as an interface?

I spent less then ten times that amount on a set of Event monitors and sat there for hours listening to songs. I had to have the smile :D surgically removed from my face.

Speaking of headphones...I recently was trying to find a better in-ear-monitor bud and tried my iPod earphones. They worked great. So, I tried this as my earphones for logic. It worked.

I figured if I could hear the massive deep bass thumping sound on an ipod, I could reference that sound and mix accordingly in logic. If the earbud starts to crakle, then I am over doing the bass (or whatever). I wouldn't hear this with a high end headphone and some of my mixes wouldn't play back right on a car stereo.

Go to some online store ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com ) and search for studio monitors in your price range.

If you already have a home stereo system with stereo inputs, then give that a try.

Good luck,

Mark

Even if your money situation is tight.

Saving up for a decent set of monitors is extremely important.

For now invest in a set of decent headphones for mix reference, and save up to get good play back monitors.

Mixing is an art and a science and one of the most crucial instruments is the reference monitors.