logic exs inst not found?

moey2k2001

Hey I have Logic 9.1.7 and it seems some exs inst. do not load because they are missing some files. The question is how do I find which instruments are affected, plus how do I fix this? Do I have to re-install? Or do I have to go through all EXS Ins. to find out which are missing and then manually copy the missing files?

It seems to only be the issue with the EXS.

Here's a screen shot.

Thanx.

1662985127_ScreenShot2012-05-31at9_41_17PM.jpg.37505c3abde1afb27e55b7657593691a.jpg

First thing you could try is to Refresh Menu in the EXS.

Also, try searching your HD using Spotlight for the instruments that the EXS cannot find to see if they're on your machine. For example search for the one that is in your "not found" message in your screenshot.

If you find that the instrument is on the HD but EXS still cannot find them then you might try re-indexing Spotlight.

PS. The .exs files should be in HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments folder.

@ rikki

don't you mean HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments ???

the "exs manager" app ....it will fix the the problem? how if the files ain't on the HD?

@ Scott

File doesn't seem to be on the HD. I used "Easy Find" to search for it. Plus I searched manually and didn't find anything.

How do I re-index and what does this do anyways?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME GUYS

@ Scott

File doesn't seem to be on the HD. I used "Easy Find" to search for it. Plus I searched manually and didn't find anything.

How do I re-index and what does this do anyways?

Here's how to re-index Spotlight.

Go into System Preferences>Spotlight>Click the Privacy Tab. Check if your hard drive is in that list. If it is, remove it. If it isn’t, Drag the HD from the desktop that you want to Re-index into the window that says "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations". Then Remove the volume you just added by selecting it and clicking the - (minus) button. Spotlight will re-index that volume.

However, you are correct. If the files are not on your HD this will not solve anything.

It's hard for my eyes to make out which instrument is not found in your screenshot. Tell us which ones you've found to be missing.

"Sampler Instruments" is just the folder where the Instruments are kept -the actual audio files which the Instrument references (uses) are something else, I think they have their own folder (I keep mine on an external drive so I'm not sure where the default location is any more). Have you looked at the Apple support pages for this info? Or searched the Forum?

It happens sometimes that exs24 can't find files if they get moved, accidentally deleted, etc. Then of course you'd have to reinstall them. A Rescan from within exs24 is only good for finding Instruments which have been added since Logic was started, you won't need it often unless you're adding new Instruments during a working session. It won;t help at all if exs24 can't find the samples it needs (or doesn;t know where to look).

Exs Manager is tops for "relinking" the instruments to their audio files , so that the exs Instruments reference the correct location.

RR

Edited by rikki rivett

@ Scott: yes, but the error message is "audio not found", which means that the exs24 Instrument does not have a correct reference to the location of the samples needed, or the location could be correct but the audio file ("sample") is missing.

There is another , different error message in exs24 when the Sampler Instrument itself is missing from Logic's list.

This is a frequent problem and a little Googling will go a long way ;-)

cheers

RR

KLICKBASS84.wav seems to be missing

i came across a few more but wouldnt it be frustrating going through all of the exs to find out which ones are missing?

i will reindex and see if that helps although i don't think it will since the samples don't seem to be on the drive.

i didn't choose any external drives for my samples so it should be on the HD. Apple support pages (pardon my French) is crap. Overloaded with so much stuff that I can't exactly find what I am looking for but the path I pointed out seems to be the correct path as other Samples seem to be in one of the folders such as HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>EXS Factory Samples....

I didn't move, delete or anything. It was a new iMac with new installations... I did try to look on my MacBook Pro and noticed that it was also missing there. I mean it's not such a priority as I think the sounds from EXS are so overheard but it's the principle. It's missing! hahaha

Thanks again =D

@ Scott: yes, but the error message is "audio not found"

You're eyes are better than mine rikki.

not really, but Command + in Safari will zoom you in ;-)

KLICKBASS84.wav seems to be missing

i came across a few more but wouldnt it be frustrating going through all of the exs to find out which ones are missing?

-yes it would

i will reindex and see if that helps although i don't think it will since the samples don't seem to be on the drive.

-it won;t help

i didn't choose any external drives for my samples so it should be on the HD. Apple support pages (pardon my French) is crap. Overloaded with so much stuff that I can't exactly find what I am looking for but the path I pointed out seems to be the correct path as other Samples seem to be in one of the folders such as HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>EXS Factory Samples....

-yup

I didn't move, delete or anything. It was a new iMac with new installations... I did try to look on my MacBook Pro and noticed that it was also missing there. I mean it's not such a priority as I think the sounds from EXS are so overheard but it's the principle. It's missing! hahaha

Thanks again =D

.....@ moey,: yes, you have the right location for Logic's samples. If they're not there, for whatever reason, just reinstall them- you can select to just reinstall only the samples & /or Sampler Instruments (best to install both I guess) when you put the DVDs in the drive & start the Install routine.

This should solve your problem.

I have to say that exs Manager is probably one of the most useful pieces of software ever if you do anything other than use the Instruments which come with Logic.

RR

You're eyes are better than mine rikki.

not really, but Command + in Safari will zoom you in ;-)

Yes. I'm aware of that but the image just gets more blurred so that doesn't help on already blurred images meant to be viewed at 72 dpi.

Also, I am aware of and use Google regularly but thanks for the tip. :wink:

- so if I want to save myself the time of placing each and every dvd then its to go through all exs and check which is there i guess, right? so i guess i will either way have to spend a few hours installing!

- what if I re-install and it's still missing? and how is it that something like this happens?

- if i find out which one is missing then its best to simply place the samples manually then?

- if i re-install, will I have any double files? Or will it simply overwrite?

" exs Manager is probably one of the most useful pieces of software ever if you do anything other than use the Instruments which come with Logic" --- what else do you use it for? appreciate your input.

- moe

Hey

I wanted to let you guys know that I did a re-install. I deleted the Logic App and the Logic Folder from the Library enclosing the samples because there was something corrupt and I thought by removing these files and doin a re-install it would work...

For some reason the EXS Samples are still missing...

Any input on that? Why is it missing although I did a re.install making sure to select all files to be installed.... weird.

Please and thank you.