How do you automate on the fly? [SOLVED]

blogan

On certain machines in the old days you used to make a pass and literally move the fader so as to program in the automation. Then as you mixed the automation would kick in. If you had moving faders you would see them move for various parts of the tune.

I can't stand using this automation thing here. Is there a way I can just move the fader up and then down and have logic remember as I make a pass through the song? I just want to automate vol. and pan.

I can't stand using this automation thing here.

What thing?

Is there a way I can just move the fader up and then down and have logic remember as I make a pass through the song? I just want to automate vol. and pan.

Set the automation mode to Touch or Latch, play back the project and move the volume fader or pan pot.

J.

Wow did you guys just take a lesson in comedy? Why do you make fun of me? I'm a very sensitive guy!! Thanks though. I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep now. Everybody makes fun of me.

But I gave you the answer in an very dry, un-humorous way!

...well, except maybe for the bit about the "automation thing" :mrgreen:

Still, no one was making fun of you, specifically.

J.

On certain machines in the old days you used to make a pass and literally move the fader so as to program in the automation. Then as you mixed the automation would kick in. If you had moving faders you would see them move for various parts of the tune.

What you're describing is exactly the way it works in Logic - which was simply modeled after the way machines worked in the old days. Did you try ↓Jordito's suggestion↓? What problems are you running into exactly?

Set the automation mode to Touch or Latch, play back the project and move the volume fader or pan pot.

Maybe this will help: Setting an Automation Mode

Yeah I got it. Thanks. I was just getting tired of literally going through each bar I needed to automate and pulling the line up or down. I miss the old days. I really do have a problem doing all of this in the computer. I know I know, there are things that are absolutely great about all of this. But it's kind of like my dad used to say with regard to manual shift versus automatic. He always preferred man. to auto because he said it felt like you had a little more control over what was going on. For downshifting you are at the mercy of an automatic tranny. (not that kind of tranny) I still just want to reach for a knob or a button.

And Jordito, I hope you didn't think that I was really hurt about the making fun stuff. Hard to understand a guy's sense of humor through typing and just words. I guess I should have used the lol thing. God I hate typing that. And most of the time I don't and people don't get my very very dry sarcastic humor. My feelings were not at all hurt. lol lol lol ha ha ha ha! Should I put in some little smiley faces also. Sorry for any confusion.

Just leave me alone in my little computerized automation hell. Thanks for the info. I got it now. I got it now. Problem solved. Except for the humor part.

Man I got a lot of dead flies here. They don't make flies like they used to. Nothing is the same.

Thanks David. I got ya. Not too long ago we used a pro-tools rig and used a harrison board. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. Right now I can't carry around a control surface since I'm traveling so much and only really use this as a scratch pad for ideas, but one of these days I will fire up all the old stuff.

You guys are great though, and I truly hope I don't upset anyone with my sarcastic humor. All meant in fun. It's kind of funny, I'm a photo hobbyist and I sometimes use some of the photo forums and man, they tear each other apart. I do get sensitive over there as I just bought a new camera and according to the forum guys it is a pro level camera and I shouldn't have bought it. They're very defensive. And all of my question get the same response. RTFM!!! So I can let down my defenses over here. It feels safe.

Later

And Jordito, I hope you didn't think that I was really hurt about the making fun stuff. Hard to understand a guy's sense of humor through typing and just words

I suspected you were just joking around, but wasn't completely sure.

I guess I should have used the lol thing. God I hate typing that.

I hate that thing too, I prefer smileys :D

Just leave me alone in my little computerized automation hell. Thanks for the info. I got it now. I got it now. Problem solved. Except for the humor part.

Man I got a lot of dead flies here. They don't make flies like they used to. Nothing is the same.

:lol: Glad you got it sorted!

J.

Hey thanks man. That might be the way to go. I have the nano keyboard and I just throw it in between the underwear and the socks in the suitcase. Great to travel with. And clean underwear and socks of course. I saw the NanoKontrol at the same time I bought the keyboard. Cool about the template.

I'm telling you those photo guys really tear you a new one. One guy posted a photo and the first response he got was "Don't quit your day job." Of course that sparked a lot of flaming. I had better get back to music and logic or David might tear me a new one for being off topic here. lol lol lol

Later and thanks.