Focusrite Saffire Mix Panning Issues [SOLVED]

I am having trouble with Logic not panning in real time. When I pan left or right it seems to act more as a volume control, anything from 0 to hard left being full volume and 0 to hard right being turned down. Yet when I bounce the audio it is panned to the correct location in the mix i.e hard left or hard right with no volume issues (which is what I want it to do).

I believe it has to be an issue with my monitors or my interface. I am using Logic Pro 9, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 and 2 M-Auido StudioPro 3's.

My question is how do I get Logic to pan left or right so I can hear it while mixing and not just when I bounce the audio.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Edited by mitch117

Sounds like something's off with your audio routing.

First, make sure under Preferences > Audio > Devices > Core Audio, Universal Track Mode is selected.

Then, can you take a screenshot of your Mixer and post it here?

Also exactly how are your monitors connected to the Saffire? Which outputs are you using, and what output number goes to which monitor?

When I pan left or right it seems to act more as a volume control, anything from 0 to hard left being full volume and 0 to hard right being turned down. Yet when I bounce the audio it is panned to the correct location in the mix i.e hard left or hard right with no volume issues (which is what I want it to do).

Is your original audio file Mono?

Perhaps your channel strip is set to Left in the format button?

[Edit] Didn't see your screenshot until after I submitted my post. I can now see that my hunch was not the issue.

Edited by Scott Jackson

I see what you're saying now. It just seems that in logic panning is acting more like a volume control. But when bounced if I have something panned it will just come through the left speaker, which is exactly what I want it to do. I just need to be able to hear it in Logic while I'm mixing.

When you pan a stereo track, you have to use the Direction Mixer to get the correct panning effect.

Use the Pan knob only for mono tracks

That is correct Triplets, but he's saying hard left is loud and hard right is no sound (or turned down). Unless I'm misunderstanding his post.

anything from 0 to hard left being full volume and 0 to hard right being turned down.

My monitors are connected through the Output 1 Line on the back of the Saffire Pro.

It sounds like you may have routed your mix to a single mono output...

Most audio interfaces have two outputs: one left channel, one right channel. Your Saffire has outputs 1 and 2 on the back (between out 3/4 and in 3/4, correct?). Your left monitor should be in 1 and your right in 2.

Here's what mine looks like (not a Saffire, but close enough).

outputs.jpg.1f9d54a635d91f9cc54d2597acff2b82.jpg

Boafzilla, I see what your saying there. The weird thing is, is that this has just now randomly started happening in the last couple of days. Here's some pictures of how I have my monitors connected to my interface.

The Red and White wired connect into the back of the interface in the Output 1 slot. The yellow wire connects the right speaker to the left speaker.

Do you still think that getting a different cable will help me out here?

Thanks a lot for your help.

0.thumb.jpeg.123814640c8d6180c27ef72bd2da938a.jpeg

photo 1

0-1.thumb.jpeg.46321ea68a97f2290a0061379ba468f7.jpeg

photo 2

Yay! I like pictures :D

Hmm, honestly I've never seen a setup quite like yours, with that 1/8" connection to the right speaker. Though I can't talk much, I haven't been doing this long myself. :lol:

If it's just been happening that past few days... I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Have you changed anything in the hardware setup lately? I guess try making sure the connections are solid or the wires aren't shorting. You can try playing with the ends of the RCAs, the TRS or that 1/8" yellow jack and see if it starts sounding like stereo...

EDIT: Some background: I used to use a RCA -> TRS cable like that and I found there was a short in one of the RCA plugs that was causing the whole connection to go mono on me...

I know what you mean, if it was a simple cable issue I'd have no problem going to guitar center and getting a new one.

I'm thinking it has to be an issue either in Logic Pro or the Saffire Mix Control because when I pan the audio in logic I can't hear it being panned, but when the audio is bounced to an MP3 and played in iTunes I can hear the audio being panned.

So you're saying when I'm mixing I should pan the audio to where I want it then add the bus sends?

EDIT: I bypassed the bus sends and it's still happening. When panned left the signal is unchanged when listening through speakers and headphones, when panned hard right the signal is muted completely.

Edited by mitch117

OK, just switched it to Post Pan and when I did that it made it so when I pan hard right it's not completely muted but I mainly only hear the reverb. When panned hard left the signal still sounds the same as when it is set at 0.

EDIT: It's almost as if when I pan hard left I get barely any reverb and when I pan hard right I mainly only get reverb. I just want to send the entire signal either left or right. And the Direction Mixer does the same thing as well.