Focusrite Saffire Mix Panning Issues [SOLVED]

The Red and White wired connect into the back of the interface in the Output 1 slot. The yellow wire connects the right speaker to the left speaker.

Do you still think that getting a different cable will help me out here?

Yes, because your current cabling is wrong.

To get a stereo signal you need to use TWO outputs from your audio interface:

Output 1 has your left channel

Output 2 has your right channel

Right now you're only monitoring the left channel, so when you pan something to the right, you're simply lowering your left channel volume - that's normal and expected, that's the way panning works. The only thing is that you should also be monitoring your right channel, and that would give you the expected panning behavior where you'd hear your sound move toward the right speaker.

So you need to get a proper audio cable with TWO 1/4" jacks on one end and two RCA plugs on the other.

But how does mitch get proper stereo in other applications?

He's not getting proper stereo in any applications, he's just probably not panning anything in his other apps, and therefore hasn't noticed that he is only listening to the left channel.

Wasn't he using SPDIF?

No, he's using a single mono analog output, output 1. There's no way you can get a stereo signal from a single mono output.

I see what you're saying, the only thing is, this issue just started happening. I've had my speakers set up like this for six months and before I was able to pan to the left and right just fine.

Since this issue is happening with both my MIDI controller and any microphones I use I've deducted that it has to be my Logic software. Perhaps if I uninstall then reinstall the problem will work itself out?

I see what you're saying, the only thing is, this issue just started happening. I've had my speakers set up like this for six months and before I was able to pan to the left and right just fine.

I don't know what to tell you other than you must be mistaken: it's impossible to pan things on one channel. Panning is the relative adjustment of the volume of two channels, so by definition you cannot pan a single channel.

Since this issue is happening with both my MIDI controller and any microphones I use I've deducted that it has to be my Logic software. Perhaps if I uninstall then reinstall the problem will work itself out?

No. Please trust me: I am 100% sure that I am right on this one. Right now you use a single mono output, the left channel. You are not monitoring your right channel. My guess is, you have a stereo jack plugged into output 1, which means both your speakers play the same signal: the left channel of the stereo signal Logic outputs. And the behavior you're describing (panning = lowering volume) also means you're only listening to a single channel, not two.

You need a cable with two mono 1/4" inch jacks to connect to your two mono outputs.

If I get a new cable I'm going to need it to go into both the right and left RCA units in the back of the speaker and then 2 mono 1/4" jacks? Do they even make those?

Yes, and yes. Here's an example:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/1-4in-Phone-to-RCA-Cables/Hosa-Technology-Inc/CPR-202.xhtml

CPR-202.jpeg.b85e4530b3ba5bfb22e07b6637566057.jpeg

Cabling:

• 1/4" jack White Output 1 on your audio interface.

• 1/4" jack Red Output 2 on your audio interface.

• RCA White "L" connector on your speaker

• RCA Red "R" connector on your speaker.

Note that some cables use black instead of white for the left channel.

• 4 years later...
Five years too late . . . I just had the same problem as Mitch117, but monitoring my Logic mix through headphones plugged into a Saffire Pro 40 interface.  When panning a Logic track hard right, I lost all volume from the track in both Logic 9 and Logic X.  But panning hard right and hard left worked as expected if I used the built-in Mac Pro output to monitor the mix through headphones.  So it had to be isolated to the Saffire Pro or the Mix Control software.  I reset the Mix Control software to the factory default, and that fixed the problem.   Unfortunately, Mix Control is mysterious to me, so I don't know why that worked.

• 5 years later...