My daughter singing a Dutch popsong...

Eriksimon

Last weekend my 11 year old daughter Finya...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7435570828_71ecbc8fd0_m.jpg

©2012 Erik Simon Verhoef, the Netherlands

...asked if we could record a song she likes, by Dutch teen idols Nick & Simon (singer/songwriter duo), who are very popular with 10-15 year old (and probably older too) girls, and much less (in general) with their daddies...

Nevertheless, I listened to the song, figured out the chords and made a quick bass-drums-piano thingy for her to sing to.

I was pleasantly surprised by her feel for the music (and her flawless mastery of the lyrics, they're pretty optimistic-emotional-dramatic), and the only thing "wrong" with it is (was) that she's still a bit wobbly/insecure on some notes, but hey, I got Melodyne! We recorded about 10 takes of the whole song in roughly an hour; selecting the best sentences from each was hard, since there were not much differences between the takes.

After comping I called upon Melodyne to "iron out" the "wobblies". I felt I could keep it pretty natural though, and apart from a couple of small artefacts in the first part, "I almost couldn't tell" it was MeloDyned. In short, I was pleasantly surprised by her (raw) talent.

With lessons and dedication and more confidence she could go a long way to not "needing" Melodyne anymore. Note that I didn't (and didn't have to) correct any timing issues on her part. And if a kid understands musical timing, the battle is more than half won - I think.

O, I also doubled up the vocal and made it into a 2nd voice in some places. I felt it fit the song.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Try not to be too distracted by the language...

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Last weekend my 11 year old daughter Finya...

Very nice voice and definitely an amazing first effort especially being 11 years old.

Try not to be too distracted by the language...

Even though I really love to hear/understand the lyrics of any song, sometimes it's interesting to hear a song sang in a language I don't understand. The voice is always another instrument in a song but when you can't understand the lyrics because they're in another language the voice becomes even more like any other instrument in the composition.

Tell Finya great job!

Melodyned really well man, this is great fair play. She actually has a voice even if she cannot sing in tune at the moment. What I mean is if I record my myself singing I can pretty much sing in tune but the actual sound of my voice is pretty damn terrible. Like you said a bit more practise and I think you got a star on your hands.

Eric, very impressive! She's really got something going on there, nice sounding voice and her phrasing is very musical. As David mentioned, she does manage to make the Dutch sound beautiful! (And yeah, her hair is already going in the right direction. :) )

To me, she doesn't sound any more tuned than so many pop stars out there. (Less, in fact.) I don't know how you are using melodyne but I've found that going easy on the pitch-drift (60% or so) is key to preserving the "reality" of the vocal.