Getting round the automatic midi note length

martinwaite

Hi everybody, I'm new to Logic, just switched over from Live last week. Finding Logic quite easy to use but, is there any way to disable the automatic note length in the piano rolls? Like, when I draw in a new note, it automatically makes it the same length as the last one I clicked on. Finding that quite annoying. In Live, it would automatically make the note fill a division that you had the grid set to, like 1/16th, 1/8th etc. I prefer that way over Logics default setting. Really appreciate it if you could help me out :D

is there any way to disable the automatic note length in the piano rolls?

If there is I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can confirm.

when I draw in a new note, it automatically makes it the same length as the last one I clicked on.

I believe that is normal behavior in Logic.

In Live, it would automatically make the note fill a division that you had the grid set to, like 1/16th, 1/8th etc.

I haven't had to do that (I use a MIDI keyboard to input notes) but I think you should look into the Transform window. You may be able to do that there.

Note that If you make a note a certain size then the next time you click with the Pencil Tool it will duplicate the length. However, this can be good when you want to repeat many notes at the same length. If you click/hold with the Pencil Tool you can drag left and right to quickly adjust the length of the note.

DUDE!

Why have I NOT been using that thing??? Oh dear lord in heaven that makes inputing notes soooo much easier. No need to mouse, pencil and zoom in to see the piano roll; I just play the damn note on my keyboard! Set up some short cuts to toggle thru the note input values, and forward/backward and voila!

Thanks for posting that man, I've missed out on that feature for as long as I've been using Logic. I can't explain why, always must of browsed over it all these years; strange but true!

-B

I just play the damn note on my keyboard!

You can even play a chord if you want! :wink:

Yeah! I just set short cuts for 1/4 thru 1/28, then one set for chord, triplet, and dotted.

Oh man this made my day!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/280sw007883.gif

-B

Hi everybody, I'm new to Logic, just switched over from Live last week. Finding Logic quite easy to use but, is there any way to disable the automatic note length in the piano rolls? Like, when I draw in a new note, it automatically makes it the same length as the last one I clicked on. Finding that quite annoying. In Live, it would automatically make the note fill a division that you had the grid set to, like 1/16th, 1/8th etc. I prefer that way over Logics default setting. Really appreciate it if you could help me out

don't know if it's of any use but you can set the default note when your editing midi in the piano roll by right clicking on a note and selecting

' define as default note '

from the top of the list... although if you change then length logic will then continue with the new length, so I'm not sure if thats of use..

Another way to get all the regions to the same value (if this is what your trying) would be to use the transform window.

Maybe step input would suit you for some operations?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logic ... tasks=true

I haven't used this either, will have a bash....

Hi,

If your read music notation, maybe it would be worth considering to enter notes in the score window instead. And even if you don't read notation, you can enable the so called "duration bars" (check the View menu), which look like small piano roll events attached to each note - and which you can edit by grabbing their end points, just like in the Piano Roll.

There are a few benefits from entering notes in the piano roll: You have quick and easy access to view and edit many tracks at the same time (this is possible in the piano roll as well, but requires an extra step), and you can define the value for inserted notes in the part box in the Score inspector, without needing to remember key commands.

Hmmm.... step input using my controller keyboard is not working here. It used to. I can still use the step input keyboard but not my controller. I've got the red input button on, a region selected and the piano roll open. What little step am I missing?

Edit: Nothing, apparently. Now it works fine. But in the process, I discovered a nice way to enter chords via my controller without being accurate - just hold down the lowest note and play the other notes in sequence - they'll all stack up while you hold the first note down!

I've got the red input button on, a region selected and the piano roll open. What little step am I missing?

Does the piano roll have key focus?

Ah, that was it! Thanks David. Another "why it only works sometimes" mystery solved. Logic's key focus thing gets me more times than I care to admit. :roll: