Prelistening rex files in browser [SOLVED]

jtnyc

Hi -

In order to get rex files to play I have to select the file, then click on the prelisten button. Once it's playing I would think that if I select another file it would switch to playing that one. It doesn't. I have to click prelisten to stop the first file and click prelisten again to hear the new one. Is that normal behavior? I could swear in the past files would play as soon as you selected them. Maybe I'm thinking of Reaper. If this is normal behavior, it's very inconvenient.

Thoughts / opinions / help...

Thanks

I select a rex file in the browser and press the spacebar to play it back. To play back other files in the same location, I simply use the arrow keys. I don't need to press the spacebar again. You should be seeing a dot next to the speaker in the prelisten button for it to work like this.

By the way, here it's working fine if I click on a file instead of using the arrow keys.

The only weird thing I've seen with previewing REX files from the File Browser is this one:

Preview Stereo REX files, Prelisten channel is mono?

J.

Thanks J

I think there is something wrong here. I cannot get it to work like you've explained. I did have my spacebar assigned to play/stop, so I removed the assignment, but it still doesn't work for the prelisten. I couldn't find an assignment for the prelisen in key commands either. Aside from that, still once a rex file is playing, when I select another, it doesn't switch...? I would love to get this working properly. If you have any other ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I think there is something wrong here. I cannot get it to work like you've explained. I did have my spacebar assigned to play/stop, so I removed the assignment, but it still doesn't work for the prelisten.

You don't need to do that. The spacebar should start and stop previewing files as long as the File Browser has key focus (a white frame around it). You change key focus using the Tab key.

J.

No go. The prelisten button has the dot and the browser is in focus, but the spacebar does nothing. And when I manually click on a file and it's playing, and then I choose another, it just continues playing to first selection until that loops end. Then it stops. Which raises another question. When prelistening, should the rex file loop indefinitely?

No go. The prelisten button has the dot and the browser is in focus, but the spacebar does nothing. And when I manually click on a file and it's playing, and then I choose another, it just continues playing to first selection until that loops end.

Don't know what's going on there...Some ideas:

Does it behave the same if you start a brand new project, based on one of the factory templates?

Have you tried moving the preference file to the desktop to see if with a fresh preference file it behaves as expected?

1) Quit Logic

2) Move ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist to your desktop

3) Open Logic and try again

When prelistening, should the rex file loop indefinitely?

No.

J.

Thanks J -

I figured it out. I had the space bar assigned to "stop or play from last position". I prefer that behavior in the arrange window. However, that was interfering with it's functioning in the browser. It needs to be set to "play/stop selection" under "windows showing audio files". I guess that's the default. I don't remember. So, I just assigned "play/stop selection" to the 0 key on the numeric pad. All is good.

Thanks for helping -

Thanks J -

I figured it out. I had the space bar assigned to "stop or play from last position". I prefer that behavior in the arrange window. However, that was interfering with it's functioning in the browser. It needs to be set to "play/stop selection" under "windows showing audio files". I guess that's the default. I don't remember. So, I just assigned "play/stop selection" to the 0 key on the numeric pad. All is good.

Thanks for helping -

Great! Glad you figured it out. I didn't know that influenced the behavior of previewing files in the browser.

By the way, did you know you can set the playhead to "play from last locate position"? Control+click the play button in the transport bar to enable that behavior without having to change the key command.

J.