Problems at 8gb RAM mark

IainPetrie

I have 16 GB ram, but when i reach 8gb in logic, all plugins fail to load beyond that limit. It happens with all my plugins

If i use them in standalone mode, no problem so im guessing theres something i need to change in logic?

I thought id add that ive stacked all my ram heavy sampler instruments up in standalone mode to in excess of 12 gb usage, and they all work fine...

all plugins fail to load

Really? All plugins? Also insert plugins, Logics' own plugins, anything?

If i use them in standalone mode, no problem so im guessing theres something i need to change in logic?

OK, so you're not talking Logics' plugins, but 3rd party ones. Which ones? And which ones cause this problem?

There may be conflicting settings between Logic and your plugins. Unfortunately, I cannot try things out, since I only have 4 GB RAM, so I hope somebody else (a 16+ GB'er) can chime in. My guess would be that you need to check memory settings of some of your plugins, and make sure they don't interfere with Logics' memory management. Kontakt and Omnisphere and Trillian all have their own memory management system, I believe. EXS24 has too.

And no, there's no setting in Logic to make in order to use all available RAM. It should just do that, in 64 bit mode. The behaviour you get, shouldn't happen.

thanks erik, i should have been more specific. its all the external sampler instruments. it doesnt matter which ones (see signature)

If im in logic and used ram reaches or approaches 8gb before i load one in, they all fail to load 'not enough memory'

Im having to purge the ram to clear inactive memory before loading some projects that come close to the 8gb limit, as all the sampler instruments wont load.

Strangely, ive Just tried opening a project while all my standalones are open using over 10gb before opening logic and it works fine :?

how do i know im in 64 bit mode by the way, is that default in logic studio?

hmm, getting similar behaviour in 64bit mode with BFD, i.e 'insufficient ram' but that wont run 64bit. so its using a 'bridge' i think

i need to do some more digging and testing i guess

a shaman friend of mine would call it an AFGO 'another f''ing growth opportunity'. how i love this stuff

anyone else got a clue?