MISSING EXS files! Please help? Deleted Garageband

daveohiggins

Hiya,

Am running Logic 8 and have a Mac Book Pro running OSX 10.4.11.

A few days back I was tired of having only approx 2GB left on my 92GB hard drive and so I checked out space-intensive apps and started deleting those I never use. Garageband was one of them.

On opening Logic today, I see that loads of my .esx samples are missing, presumably as a result of my Garageband deletion.

How do I get these back?? Can I simply drag and drop from the original Logic installation CD or would I have to

a) Uninstall Logic and reinstall, or

b) Install from the Logic CD on top of the existing Logic on my system (i.e. without uninstalling first)?

Thanks tons for any help....!

Dave

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"

Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I posted the same question a week ago, and someone responded saying that there is a link in the logic menu to download additional/uninstalled content. I haven't had a chance to try it but it sounds like that's the solution.

That will work IF you purchased Logic from the App Store.

Logic and GarageBand share content Most of the GB instruments are actually EXS instruments in channelstrips with effects applied.

Other GB instrument are simplified versions of the synths contained in Logic.

8)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have the same problem, did anyone find the best solution to this?

I deleted everything with "Garageband" in the filenames to save space, not realising many of these were used by Logic - and it's the esx instruments that have gone down. So far I've found just one puzzling exception - I can still load the 'dark upright jazz bass' sound.

I have all the original logic discs but there are loads of them - 3 discs each for audio content and jam pack content, and I can't see a way of browsing what's actually on each disc. Are logic's esx/software instruments all 'jam pack' content or audio content?

Also, I still want to save disk space, so if I reinstall garageband and all content, is there a way to find all garageband files NOT needed in logic and remove them from the local disk?

Cheers guys!

Hi again,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

It's not fixed the problem unfortunately!

Still no esx instruments in Logic (message saying audio file not found when I try and load an instrument from the media > library tab), but in the 'Logic pro > download additional content' menu it now says everything is installed. I tried selecting it all and choosing 'install new packages only' just in case, and nothing happened.

Also I now have all the apple loops back of course - which is 30GB I really don't think I'll need, but just in case, if I move them all to another drive do you know if Logic will find them if I try to open them in the media > loops tab?

Thanks for your help!

Some people have an issue with the internal download of the content from within Logic.

Use these external links instead as these seem to fix this kind of issue for al those who have used them...

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2972851/logic-downloads-fixed.html

Make sure you install these files when Logic is NOT running

(Note: The dropbox link just contains the links to the actual Apple hosted links themselves...)

Thanks for the link Nigel!

I installed the 'Garageband instruments' from that link but all esx instrumetns are still missing in Logic.

Does anyone know where exactly all the Logic esx instruments are saved by default, so I can work out which folder I shouldn't have deleted and what it contained... or even better which package of downloadable content contains what I need? I only deleted folders containing "garageband" in the title so I'm surprised at what's happened, I assumed content needed in Logic would have been in 'logic' folders or labelled 'shared content' etc.

If I wipe logic completely and reinstall from the CDs I could fix it, but I'd have to go through all the updates and reinstall all my plugins.. that seems a bit extreme...

Have any of the other forum users fixed this successfully??

Thanks guys

Does anyone know where exactly all the Logic esx instruments are saved by default, so I can work out which folder I shouldn't have deleted and what it contained

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

/Library/Application Support/Garageband/

/Library/Application Support/Garageband Content/ (Legacy - depends on your install)

You can find more information there: Uninstalling Logic Studio

I only deleted folders containing "garageband" in the title so I'm surprised at what's happened, I assumed content needed in Logic would have been in 'logic' folders or labelled 'shared content' etc.

GarageBand instruments are being used by both Logic and GarageBand.

• Choose Logic Pro > Download Additional Content.

• Open all disclosure triangles.

• Take a screenshot of that window and post it here.

Thanks so much David, really appreciate it.

Here's the screenshot, and also one of the Logic folder in my library, in case there is something missing from it.

The whole Garageband folder is gone from Library>Application support, presumably that's my problem.

4185518_Screenshot2013-04-18at14_29_26.thumb.png.6981053f99a4fbe3fe989b4de1430026.png

127451091_Screenshot2013-04-18at14_26_20.png.618be4c59c149ba83150b3e3dce7f979.png

Yes you're right, cheers guys!

Here are the Garageband and Logic folders from my MacHD>Library>Application support.

The esx instruments are there, it doesn't look like all of them, but as it looks like there will be several logic instruments built on each sample from the library, i can't really tell that at the moment. The error message I have when trying to load an instrument in logic tells me it's the audio files that can't be found.

I notice that the folder "Library>app support>LOGIC>EXS factory samples" doesn't look complete - eg. the acoustic pianos only contains the Yamaha grand, the Bass folder only contains a synth bass, and the Orchestral only contains a choir. That said, logic won't open the Yamaha grand or any other instrument APART from the dark upright jazz bass.

(In library>app support>GARAGEBAND>instrument library>sampler>sampler files, all I have is clean elec gtr, 3 basses, 1 piano, 2 kits and some laughter/comedy noises.)

1144437183_Screenshot2013-04-18at14_56_28.thumb.png.75b6a7b7fd2bfe32312157bb36d76e9d.png

1987966010_Screenshot2013-04-18at14_55_37.thumb.png.39578edcff4632857a03e65d51029159.png

As I (tried to say) said in my previous post, you need to download and install ALL the essential and additional content from those external links even if Logic claims it is all installed already because it seems some data just gets left out or skipped.. for an unknown reason... and it seems some of the GB instruments.. are in different parts of the essential and additional content sections and not just the GB bits...

So just re-download and install ALL the extra content... (making sure you quit Logic before installing from the downloaded disk images )and see what happens then.

• 1 month later...

I have solved this issue finally...

Thanks for that link Nigel. Unfortunately I couldn't do it that way, as the broadband bandwidth is pretty slow where I live, and even just one of those files came up with a download time of nearly 11 hours - so to do the whole lot would take me a week, and I kept having to abort as I need the laptop in and out of the house every day.

I did also speak to pro app trainers in the apple store and they reinstalled Garagband on my machine thinking that would solve it but it didn't.

In the end all I did was insert the Logic install DVD (without uninstalling Logic) and do a custom install of all the Garageband instruments from the "jam pack" content, and this has fixed it 99% of it (so far I seem to have all the ESX instruments back except a couple of the pop piano + strings/pads instruments).

Hi, I have the same problem, did anyone find the best solution to this?

I deleted everything with "Garageband" in the filenames to save space, not realising many of these were used by Logic - and it's the esx instruments that have gone down. So far I've found just one puzzling exception - I can still load the 'dark upright jazz bass' sound.

I have all the original logic discs but there are loads of them - 3 discs each for audio content and jam pack content, and I can't see a way of browsing what's actually on each disc. Are logic's esx/software instruments all 'jam pack' content or audio content?

Also, I still want to save disk space, so if I reinstall garageband and all content, is there a way to find all garageband files NOT needed in logic and remove them from the local disk?

Cheers guys!

You have to do a custom install, that will give you a dialog with check boxes.

8)