Converting multiple files in audio bin from 44.1 to 48K

ifta2004

Hello,

I would first like to express my gratitude to this forum. It is hard to believe that such valuable information is free and so readily available!

I recently discovered that a current project was set to 44.1K as opposed to 48K. I do not know how this happened as I have always kept the setting to 48K because I have been told this is a higher quality recording level. In the future I plan on creating a 48K standard template for all new projects.

I discovered that my project was in 44.1 when I copy and pasted some vocal tracks from another project. They were off pitch and thanks to this board I was able to locate this crucial information in the audio bin. What I've decided to do is rather than switch all my imported 48K audio files to 44.1, I will switch my current tracks from 44.1 to 48K. Despite having only ten tracks, the audio bin files are closer to 30 tracks. Why is this?

Also, is there a way that I can convert a large grouping of audio bin files from 44.1 to 48K? I figure this would be the most time saving method as there are so many audio files to convert.

I am also puzzled when I select an audio file in the bin to convert, it asks me to rename the file. Why does it do this?

Thank you very much,

Jeff

iMac

Logic Pro 9.1.7

If you've selected all your samples in your Audio Bin, go to Audio File > Copy Convert File(s)...

From there, select your desired sample rate (48 kHz) from the Sample Rate dropdown. Select a directory to save all the files (note that Save As will show "# files to be copied/converted" but this won't modify your audio files' names).

To answer your first question, it's possible you did some bouncing in the arrange window. This will make new audio regions for you and (should) keep the old ones. Did I undertand your question properly?

If you've selected all your samples in your Audio Bin, go to Audio File > Copy Convert File(s)...

From there, select your desired sample rate (48 kHz) from the Sample Rate dropdown. Select a directory to save all the files (note that Save As will show "# files to be copied/converted" but this won't modify your audio files' names).

To answer your first question, it's possible you did some bouncing in the arrange window. This will make new audio regions for you and (should) keep the old ones. Did I undertand your question properly?

Excellent. Thank you very much! I did so and this saved me a great amount of time. In my state of mental exhaustion, I forgot that doing so would change the pitch of all the files I selected. For future reference, Is there any way to do this without experiencing pitch change? In the example of this song, if I chose, I can simply re-record everything from scratch. However, let's say I had a project that needed to be at 48K and I had accidentally tracked a ton of vocals and wasn't able to bring the session musicians back in time before the project deadline. Would I be able to convert a large amount of tracks from 44.1 to 48K and then alter the pitch?

Yes, you understood my question properly (and thanks for responding!) I have yet to bounce anything, so I am still trying to figure out what the new audio regions were.

Thank you again very much boafzilla for taking time to respond!

I have always kept the setting to 48K because I have been told this is a higher quality recording level.

Mathematically, but not audible.

If you're working to picture then you should use 48k, otherwise stick to 44.1 for music.

OK, thank you Facepalm, that makes sense. I appreciate your time. That was my main concern, is that there would be a significant audible difference.

After reading a crystalline response from David Nahimi in regards to his exact instructions on multiple file conversion in the bin I realized that I had done everything correctly except adjust the project settings. I did that and now everything sounds copasetic. I love this forum! Thank you!

• 5 years later...

Got it figured out in another post here thanks

Edited by keano12

I imported a track and its bit rate is different so it plays faster. I did the above but I get no options to change the file to 24bit 48?

If it plays faster that means the imported file has a higher sample rate.

How did you imported the file? Just dragged it in?

The track I import File > Audio is 16/44. The project is 24/48. What I have had to do was open the track in Adobe Audition and change it in there to 24/48 and it works. When I did the same thing when I used Cubase it would automatically ask me if I wanted to change to same as the project and do it for me.

The track I import File > Audio is 16/44. The project is 24/48. What I have had to do was open the track in Adobe Audition and change it in there to 24/48 and it works. When I did the same thing when I used Cubase it would automatically ask me if I wanted to change to same as the project and do it for me.

Logic will do that for you if you import from the Project Audio Window, on the keyboard you can do F and then Control-F.

No need for Adobe for this.