Can't load movie - please help!

jrm1

Suddenly I can't add a movie to a Logic song. I click add movie, locate one, and hit return and nothing appears. But strangely, the option to add a movie is now greyed out, which would suggest it is in the song somewhere. But it isn't in the inspector or anywhere on the Arrange page.

So I quit and restart the computer. Try opening an old song which contained a movie. The song loads, but Logic says it can't locate the movie it once had. I locate it manually, hit OK or choose and it doesn't appear in the song.

I need to work on a projectl in a hurry. Can anyone please help?

Logic 9.1.5 Mac OS 10.6.3

I just tried opening a new song. New track. I looked at the Inspector and at the top, there is just Midi through. I then Open Movie. Choose the movie, which is in the Downloads folder. It doesn't show in the Inspector immediately. I double click on the Midi thru at the top left of the Inspector and then the Movie bit of text in bold appears above it. I click on the black triangle, hoping that would reveal a movie, but nothing.

Need answers to all of the following:

1. Open the movie in QuickTime and see if it plays.

2. Hit CMD-I in the QT Player and tell me the frame rate and data size.

3. Do you have QuickTime 7 installed on your computer, or just QT 10?

1. The movie plays (in Quicktime 10)

2. Frame rate 25, data size just 25Mb

3. I have QT 10, but can't locate another, ie Quicktime 7. I once paid for the pro version and maybe that got trashed in the move from Leopard to Snow Leopard a few weeks ago.

4. 9.1.5 64 bit ( could the 64 bit be a problem?)

I've just done a search on my computer for Quicktime and I have an installer for Quicktimeplayer 7.6.6_SnowLeopard.pkg.

Do you think I should run that?

I'm on 10.6.3 Snow Leopard, not 10.6.8, because Apogee doesn't support past 10.6.3 for the hardware I have.

Ok, thanks. Just need the codec information, that's important.

That the movie plays in QT 10 is a good sign. No glitches, everything plays smooth?

This is just an aside, and I'm running Snow Leopard too... the QT 7 installer is on the Snow Leopard install disk. You'll want to install that if you're working in 64-bit mode in Logic and working to picture. I'll explain why later. Moving on...

Working in 64-bit shouldn't be a problem at all. And you are fine with QT10 too.

Edited by ski

OK, thanks.

From all the info you've provided (thank you!) it's very hard to say what the problem is. My first thought was that it was a corrupted movie file or an incompatible codec. Second thought was that if your movie is installed on a separate hard drive that the drive's gone bad (that's happened to me) but that's not it either.

Suggest the following:

1) reboot your computer

2) open Logic and start with a blank song, the Empty > Explore template. It's important that you start with a clean slate here.

3) open up a different movie, one that you've played before in Logic, and see if that plays. Hopefully it will.

4) if it plays, remove that movie and load up this one, see if it plays

Post back with your results.

Same result. Now I'm really worried.

Load a movie that I know worked before, nothing loads.

Load a song that has a movie and it can't find it. I locate it manually, being extra careful with getting the exact name of the movie file and it still doesn't load. But it doesn't tell me it hasn't loaded!!

JRM,

Sorry, don't mean to confuse the issue. You don't need QT7 to play picture in Logic, but it can come in very handy when working in 64-bit mode for other reasons (for one, you can't bounce out audio to a movie file in 64-bit Logic). I'll post a link for you later to a workaround which requires QT7. OK, let's put that subject aside for now...

That Logic isn't playing an known-to-be-good movie file might be a sign that Logic's preferences are corrupted. I stress "might", not "definite". If you're game, back up your key commands, then trash Logic's prefs. Post back if you need the procedure for trashing the prefs.

ALTERNATIVELY...

Another way of troubleshooting this kind of whackiness is to create a new User Account with Admin privileges (call it "Test" or something like that). Run Logic from that account and try the test above. If you're able to get both the old and new movies playing from Logic while under the new account then at least you can get up and running for a while.

Have no idea about Windows 7 and Boot Camp. If you think it's somehow a culprit, unmount it from your system for a while and see if the behavior changes.

Do this:

1) back up your key commands. They are not saved as part of the prefs file. Go to the key commands window to back them up (Options Menu, Export).

2) Quit Logic

3) Open the Preference folder located at:

HD > Users > Your Home Folder > Library > Preferences

Move the file com.apple.logic.pro.plist to the desktop. Do not actually delete it permanently just yet.

4) Re-launch Logic. Try these steps again:

a) launch Logic and start with a blank song, the Empty > Explore template. It's important that you start with a clean slate here.

b) open up a different movie, one that you've played before in Logic, and see if that plays. Hopefully it will.

c) if it plays, remove that movie and load up this one, see if it plays

I just repaired permissions and rebooted the Mac.

I did all of what you suggest exactly. Same result. No movies.

Now I'll pull out the Windows drive from Bay 4. I can't see how that could interfere, but I'll try it anyway.

It is always a good idea/you should/must put any Windows formatted drives on Spotlights' Privacy List - they are known to create weird hangs (like audio recording starting only after 10-30 seconds of beachballing...)

Just open the Spotlight System Preference panel, click the Privacy tab and drag your windows disc to the list.

I must add that I don't think it is related to this issue. You should do it nevertheless.

I made a new admin account and tried to start Logic but I couldn't access files from my Mac. No entry. I thought as an admin account I could, but maybe I did it wrong.

No, you can't access any files in your other user account, but you should be able to open Logic and, generally, access any file that is not in the other user account

I've now just tried booting with Logic 8 to see if that can play a movie. New song, load movie and I get this:

There is a movie reference in this project but the file can not be used by QuickTime.

Maybe though this is a red herring and anyway I can't work in version 8...

New development: I have another drive with Logic 9.1.7 (not 9.1.5) and I booted that up. It loads a movie.

Which is good news in one sense. But My Apogee gear won't work under 10.6.8.

I could perhaps reinstall Snow Leopard back to 10.6.3. Should I ?

Try it again via the other user account. If your Logic Projects are all stored within your current User folder, copy the projects you want to test to a (newly created) folder anywhere outside your current user account (don't put 'm on the Desktop though). Same goes for your movie files. That way, you can access them from the new account.

O, and reïnstalling is always an option, but not if the fault is within your user account - a reinstall will not change anything there. So do the new user check first.