Interference through speakers with new iMac

Hi, I am having some problems with my new iMac.

I have a firewire solo external sound card type thing which is connected to my mac using a firewire 400 to 800 cable, then my monitors (yamaha HS80) are connected to the firewire solo using balanced jack to jack leads. I am getting continuous interference when loading up programs/moving the mouse etc etc. When i connect my headphones to the firewire solo and listen through them It's nice and clear.

I have used this set-up on my previous 2 power macs and it's been fine, the only difference being I needed firewire 400 to 400 for them.

I spoke to apple support and they said it must be the connection between the firewire solo and the mac or the firewire solo itself, but you can't believe everything they say. I don't want to have to buy more equipment, I've just spent a grand on a mac and I'd like it to work.

What do I do?

Thanks, Don

Edited by donnie darko

lol sorry David, the speakers are connected using balanced jack to jack leads. One more thing, the interference doesn't come out of the imacs built in speakers. I really don't know what is causing it or what I need to buy to stop it or if it's a fault with the mac. Have you ever head about this problem before?

Thanks so much,

Don

ok i done that, i can't hear any interference through the built in speakers.

Ah ok but my idea was to test the system sounds through the built-in speakers with the volume set to zero (so you obviously don't hear them throughout this test) and your Logic sound through your monitors, to see whether or not the issue disappears when you do that?

Sorry, do you mean have the output through my monitors but turn down the volume on the built in speakers? If so then yes I have tried that but had no luck. So if there is no sound interference heard through the built in speakers the firewire port must be sending the interference through that? I can't imagine it's my firewire cable or the firewire solos fault? difficult to say i know! :S

Sorry, do you mean have the output through my monitors but turn down the volume on the built in speakers?

I mean route your system sounds to your speakers but your Logic output to your monitors. Then turn your system sounds all the way down. Then see if you can still hear the interferences when listening to Logic project through your monitors?

Just an update for future reference. I've disconnected everything, just leaving my imac on and one speaker (not connected in any way) and there is still interference. Must be to do with the ground loop thing then :s

Why on this computer though and not the previous 2 :( Take care of yourselves, annnnndd each other.

Don