Bokay - just got back from a Logic Hiatus

evanbrass

Hello friends,

I've been an exclusive Logic user since 7.2, and have been a part of this forum since then (not the most active participant, but anyway)

I decided to Learn good ol' Pro Tools in February and have been only using it, deciding no matter how frustrating it would be, that would be the only way to learn it. And that's what I did.

I hated it at first, but after I got the hang of it, I dig Pro Tools, it's not so bad. BUT!... I have decided that I like Logic better, and I think that's what I'm gonna stick with from now on. I'm glad I learned PT, and feel comfortable with it (and all it's friggin' key commands)

yeah yeah yeah, there are things in PT that I think are a little better than Logic, and vise-versa. However the only thing that has really annoying the s&^% pants out of me is - Not being able to select multiple tracks in the arrange and move them, AND not being able to move tracks around in the mixer. HOLY FREAK. that is one thing that seems so simple, and the only thing that I really wish they would change.

One thing I have learned in this process is how amazing key commands can be. they have really enhanced my workflow. I ended up making a key command set that mirrors PT key commands. I started out with Logic's PT key command template, but I realized there are many things that the Logic set has wrong, So I tweaked a few things here and there to make it more accurate, and in some cases more comfortable and workflow enhancing. If anyone is interested, I would be glad to share them, if there are fellow hybrid DAW folks out there that don't wanna have to memorize 2 sets of key commands.

( I actually kind of like the fact that PT doesn't allow you to change key commands, because then you can feel comfortable in anyone's studio)

Anyway, that's the scoop, I'm glad to be back, and I don't even care at this point if Logic 10 comes out, I just wanna see at least an update that solves the "moving tracks" problem. (i had 10 huge sessions I imported that I had to organize in the last couple days, and it really has been a PITA! haha)

Peace out homies,

Evan

Good to have you back!! :D

If anyone is interested, I would be glad to share them, if there are fellow hybrid DAW folks out there that don't wanna have to memorize 2 sets of key commands.

Definitely interested. Would you be willing to share it in our file sharing section under "Logic & MainStage Templates and Environments"? Thanks!!

Sure - I'll make a list documenting some of the changes I made -

Also to be fair - I didn't mention any features that PT really blows at - but here are a few that most people already know:

no bounce in place -

no channel strip settings - (are you kidding?!) there is a way to import data, but Logic handles this wayyyy better.

SO annoying not to have those :)

Hey David, I exported my key commands, and I also made an excel (and numbers) spreadsheet documenting the changes - however, I was unable to load them to the file sharing section... So I was wondering if you have an email I could send these files to?

Evan