stretch selection of notes in piano roll

rjawad001

hi,

i know you can stretch the duration of a midi segment in the inspector (the main area) by going to the end of the segment and holding down the option key.

is there a way to do this in the piano roll and only with those notes which are selected?

thanks,

ryan

logic pro 9.1.7

Edited by rjawad001

Just select the notes in the Piano Roll and use the pointer tool to stretch the notes.

If you want all the notes to be the same length, hold down Shift+Option while resizing notes.

That's not the same operation as time-stretching regions in the arrange with the option key modifier - that will also change the distance between notes relative to their length change.

I don't know of a way to do that in the piano roll. I'd copy/paste the selected notes to a new region, then stretch that region in the arrange. You can then merge the midi regions back together again if you want.

That's not the same operation as time-stretching regions in the arrange with the option key modifier - that will also change the distance between notes relative to their length change.

Well of course. I understand that. But why would you need to do this in the Piano Roll when you can do Time Stretching in the Arrange?

My perception of the question (based partially on the word duration) was "How do I change the length of a note in the Piano Roll like I can change the length of a region in the Arrange?"

But of course, I could be mistaken and came to the wrong conclusion regarding the OP's issue/question.

But that will be up to the OP to decide.

Judas understood correctly. I want to do the same operation in the piano roll. Why would you want to do that when you can do it in the arrange area? Well, you can see the notes more clearly in the piano roll area. Maybe you are not sure how much you want to slow down a sequence of notes, but you are sure you want to align certain notes with other notes on another simultaneous region. You can zoom in on the midi regions in the arrange area, but then you have that weird octave displacement visualization. The piano roll is a better place to work. Unfortunately, as i'm finding out, a lot of options arent available there.

• 5 years later...
Hi, You probably have found an answer to your question about stretching time in the piano roll but in case you didn't or perhaps for those who like me were looking for an answer to that question, you must activate the Time Handle in the function menu and select the notes you want to stretch as explained here: http://logicpro.skydocu.com/en/edit-midi-regions-in-the-piano-roll-editor/add-and-edit-notes/time-stretch-notes/