synth track automation not playing back

Dylan

i have a synth (es p) sustained drone and i want to automate the adsr int pot with track automation. however when i do so in write mode, the sustained note doesnt respond to the changes in automation once it's back in read mode. how can i get the automation to effect the sound during playback?

Dylan

Don't use write mode:

Write

In Write mode, existing track automation data is erased as the playhead passes it.

If you move any of the Mixer’s (or an external unit’s) controls, this movement is recorded; if you don’t, existing data is simply deleted as the playhead passes it.

Use Touch or Latch instead to write your automation:

Touch

Touch mode plays back automation data in the same fashion as Read mode.

If a channel strip or an external (touch-sensitive) automation controller is touched, the existing track automation data of the active parameter is replaced by any controller movements—for as long as the fader or knob is touched. When you release the controller, the automation parameter returns to its original (recorded) value. The time required by a parameter to return to its previously recorded setting is set via Logic Pro > Preferences > Automation > Ramp Time.

Touch is the most useful mode for creating a mix, and is directly comparable to “riding the faders” on a hardware mixing console. It allows you to correct and improve the mix at any time, when automation is active.

Latch

Latch mode basically works like Touch mode, but the current value replaces any existing automation data after releasing the fader or knob, when Logic Pro is in playback (or record) mode.

To finish, or to end parameter editing, stop playback (or recording).

When you're done automating, switch to Read mode:

Read

Read mode automates the current track, using the existing automation data.

The data cannot be changed by moving the channel strip controls, or using an external automation controller, when in Read mode.

J.

sorry, i actually meant touch. i never use write mode for that reason

but yes, then i switch back to read and it still doesnt seem to be effecting the sound

might it have something to do with the fact that it's a sustained note and the note wont be effected in the same way that a change in velocity doesnt typically effect a sustained note?

might it have something to do with the fact that it's a sustained note and the note wont be effected in the same way that a change in velocity doesnt typically effect a sustained note?

Velocity? I though you were automating the ADSR (Int) knob, no?

ADSR Int knob: The ES P features one ADSR envelope generator per voice. ADSR Int

sets the amount of cutoff frequency modulation by the ADSR envelope generator.

Knowing this (although I'm not in front of Logic to verify), it would make sense that any changes in the sound caused by adjusting that knob would only be heard after the envelope has begun to take effect (when the note begins).

J.

ADSR Int knob: The ES P features one ADSR envelope generator per voice. ADSR Int

sets the amount of cutoff frequency modulation by the ADSR envelope generator.

Knowing this (although I'm not in front of Logic to verify), it would make sense that any changes in the sound caused by adjusting that knob would only be heard after the envelope has begun to take effect (when the note begins).

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply automate the cutoff frequency though?

yes modulating the cutoff frequency does seem to have the same effect im going for, and responds to the automation just fine.

i spose Im just confused with how the adsr int knob actualy works. how do the 4 envelope parameters affect the cutoff frequency?

Archived