logic pro 9 channel strip/instrument question

DJPolojarvi

Hello Logic Gurus,

Background: I'm new to Logic 9 and using a motif xf8 to connect to it via firewire. I'm also trying to use a variety of Native Instruments software instruments on it.

Question: When I create a new software instrument, the channel strip has two locations where the instrument name comes up. In the top slot (above EQ), I can only choose logic's instruments. In the bottom slot above the output button, many other things appear, including the native instruments groups and Logic's more powerful synth, like Sculpture. For some reason if I choose one of the lower ones, the top selection doesn't change, so I have Bosendorfer Grand in the top and exs24 in the bottom. The top slot supercedes the bottom slot. Depending on the selection I make, for example if I have exs24 in the top slot and Native Instruments Battery 3 in the the bottom, no sound comes out of the speakers. In other circumstances, no sound comes from the external speakers, but sound does come from the computer's built in speakers. At other combinations, sound comes out of the monitor speakers.

This all happens within the same project, with variations in the choices in a single channel strip.

My goal is to have access to the Native Instruments and Motif sounds. That top slot seems to be wrecking things. I've tried reading the manual and help booklets, but they seem to assume no one uses external instruments like the motif,so I can't find clear instructions on proper setup. The manual tutorials use the alphanumeric key pad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ

What you call the top slot is called the Channel Strip Setting button:

http://logicprohelp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=17428

What you call the bottom slot is called the instrument slot:

http://logicprohelp.com/forum/download/file.php?id=17429

The CSS button is for selecting channel strip settings, which are a collection of plug-ins. On a software instrument channel strip, a CSS typically include an instrument and some processing plug-ins.

The instrument slot is for loading an instrument plug-in only. If you'd loaded a CSS named "John", and then change one of its plug-ins, whether a processing or instrument plug-in, to a plug-in named "Paul", the CSS button still displays the name of the last CSS you loaded: "John".

As for the sound, it comes out of whatever output device you've selected in Logic's audio preferences, when you have an instrument loaded, and MIDI data routed to it, that triggers notes in the particular pitch range of the particular setting of the particular instrument you're playing (for example, a specific EXS24 setting (a.k.a. a sampler instrument) may only be triggered by notes in the range C1-B2 and not respond to any other MIDI notes).

However to use an external MIDI instrument I'd recommend creating:

1) an external MIDI track to record and playback MIDI data that is then routed to your external instrument.

2) an audio track with its inputs set to the inputs where Logic receives the audio back from your external instrument.

Hope that helps sorting things out a bit?

Thanks David. This is helping.

When I create the new external midi track, I can get the motif sounds to play just fine, thanks.

How do I control where Logic receives the audio inputs? I've got the Motif outputs set to specific firewire channels. Yamaha told me it is through the busses, but I can't figure out how to change those.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

DJ