Flatten takes before or after quantizing?

ratmandtotti

Ok so I recorded multiple drum takes that I want to quantize (The drums were miced with 7 mics and are grouped together with editing selection and phase locked-audio checked). I'm gonna pick out different parts from the different drum takes and flatten them into one track. I know very well how to do this (by highlighting the parts you want bla bla bla... My question has to do with quantizing. Shouldn't I be quantizing the drum takes before I basically chop them up and add them together (flatten them)? If I just flattened them before quantizing and let's say there's a crash that comes in too early, wouldn't that sound really messed up? Unfortunately I've realized that Logic doesn't analyze multiple takes. Only once you've expanded them into multiple tracks or flattened them into one track does it analyze them. I just don't understand why Logic can't just analyze all the takes at once. Can someone please help?! I know I can expand all the tracks but this makes things really messy and a bit hard to work with. Just too many tracks everywhere and I have to add them to a new group every time. But if that's what I have to do, I guess that's what I have to do. It just seems like that whole flattening feature is basically useless unless you play in near perfect time. Thank you to whoever answers me!

Well, in the old "tape" days you had to do many good takes and pick the best one.

Now this comping feature in Logic makes it even easier to get the best part.

Problem is, the easier the software or its features, the worse the musician gets because he relies too much on software "help".

So, get the best takes and parts, flatten and then quantize if you must. But I would do flex as little as possible in drums because of all the bleed you have on the instrument, especially in overheads.