can i change root note of sample in ultrabeat ?

ddi

hi there, i am aiming to build my own bank of kick drums in ultrabeat using kicks that i will make myself in waldorf attack, or samples that i already know the root note off... and for arguments sake tune the ones i make myself to an A note so i know what note the kick is if i ever need to change it to the key of future dance productions

once i have them loaded into ultrabeat, am i able to change the kick from the note of A to lets say an E ?? if so, how do i go about this correctly ??

many thanks

once i have them loaded into ultrabeat, am i able to change the kick from the note of A to lets say an E ?? if so, how do i go about this correctly ??

Simply change the tuning of the oscillator. But that's not changing the "root" pitch of the sample. The root note/pitch remains the same.

"But that's not changing the "root" pitch of the sample. The root note/pitch remains the same."

thanks for replying fader, i am sorry i dont quite grasp what i am doing there .. could you explain a little more please, apologies for sounding dim

sorry i havent really explained what i didnt get, i just had to load logic so i can explain better..

opened ultrabeat, drag and drop samples, insert kick drum on voice 1 that i know is tuned to an A, but the oscillator by default is C3

so are you saying if i lower or higher the value to lets say D2.. the sample is now playing in the note of D2 ?? therefore if my track is in the key of D-minor, away i go ??? :)

opened ultrabeat, drag and drop samples, insert kick drum on voice 1 that i know is tuned to an A, but the oscillator by default is C3

so are you saying if i lower or higher the value to lets say D2.. the sample is now playing in the note of D2 ?? therefore if my track is in the key of D-minor, away i go ??? :)

Not quite. When the UB Oscillator shows C3, the sample will be played at its natural frequency. You'll have to count semitones since its unlikely that your kick has a natural frequency of C.

Remember that UB is not a "real" sampler, ie you can't tell it what the root note of your sample is like you can in the EXS24. When you don't have a sample loaded in that oscillator, then yes, the tone it generates will be a C3 if that's where the tuning is set.

thanks !! i think i get what you mean now, so the actual value will be incorrect however the sample will play at the desired pitch as long as i increase / decrease by the correct amount of semi tones ?! and this is of course non destructive to the actual sample ?! thanks one again for that .. can i just ask, would you use exs24 instead of ultrabeat to do what i am trying to achieve ??