Sibelius to Logic via IAC Bus CPU spikes

visaudio

Hey all,

A long time ago, I configured Sibelius to route a few of the tracks to Logic via an IAC bus. Some tracks are playing via VSTs and a few are routing MIDI to Logic. It works as expected, meaning the signal flow works properly and everything, but I've always experienced a CPU spike on the CPU meter Logic when starting/stopping play back in Sibelius or pressing the ESC key at certain times while working Sibelius.

ESC Key Issue

If Logic is in focus and I press the ESC key, I don't have any issues. However, if Sibelius is in focus and I press the ESC key, the CPU meter spikes. The only exception in Sibelius is if I've created text and immediately press ESC, which doesn't deselect text. If I then press ESC again to deselect the text, the CPU meter spikes. The conclusion I reached was that any time I press ESC in Sibelius in such a way that everything becomes unselected (or if nothing was selected in the first place), the CPU meter spikes.

Start/Stop Playback Issue

As soon as I start playing my score from within Sibelius, the CPU meter spikes. The interesting thing is that while Sibelius is playing, I can hop over to Logic and press play there, and the CPU meter drops immediately. However, if I then go back to Sibelius and stop the score (which was still playing), the CPU meter spikes again and remains in the red until I go back to Logic and press play again. The result is the same, whether I play and stop in Logic to relieve the CPU or just play then stop after Sibelius has been stopped.

Is there anyone else out there who has experienced this? It happens in every version of Sibelius I have tried it on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information than I have provided about my Logic/Sibelius setup.

Thanks!

This is the Environment window result of Starting, Stopping, or pressing ESC in Sibelius as seen in a monitor between the Physical Input and a Channel Splitter. I've been trying to figure out a way to use the Transformer to filter out certain things that might keep the spikes form happening. No luck.

CPU-spikes-1.jpg.45c72c8c888c37c17c1e9056651f9e60.jpg

• 1 year later...

Looks like reset all controllers and possibly an all notes off commands are being sent.

To see everything that's being sent when you start/stop/esc Sibelius, get the free MIDI Monitor by Snoize.

What version of Sibelius is it?

I've been trying to figure out a way to use the Transformer to filter out certain things that might keep the spikes form happening. No luck

Why no luck?

Maybe it would be better to prevent those from reaching Logic using a third party program such as Midipipe.

J.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jordi,

I had abandoned this issue, since I wasn't able to find a solution, but had no idea that you replied. Thank you for the reply!

I had essentially just accepted that I wasn't going to be able to solve the problem, with my minimal expertise. I installed Midipipe, but am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the pipe "flow" as they call it. It seems that there are filters built in as tools you can use, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it correctly. I've tried setting the flow as MIDI Out > MIDI Filter (with various options goggled here) > MIDI In, but can't seem ot achieve the desired affect.

Is Midipipe something you've had experience with? I watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHByfJWAf0), but his goal was to modify the MIDI data being sent from his MIDI keyboard to the host program, rather than inter-program audio.