how to make my mix mono compatible?

thanks for the multiple amounts of information guys, but i must add to the question..

the thing is ive been told my music sounds professional-ish ( maybe not in mastering terms) but in the terms of the actual music, mixing and arrangement.

it is dance /house music i make, and ive been told to send some stuff to small labels..

now im really stuck should i make a stereo mix for them or mono, or would they do this?

so let me get this staraight, mono is stereo compatible, but stereo isnt mono compatible? why not just mix in mono all the time?

? the mono mix is just a reference - you wouldn't actually send off a finished product in complete mono ( not usually at least )

and if it's for a little label then yeh, your going to be expected to send a pretty finalised mix over to them, they'll just send it off to get it mastered...

Stereo is mono compatible - and that's kind of been the crux of this thread - mixing your stuff in stereo but in such a way that the main punch and definition isn't lost in mono listening situations ( certain clubs, radio, etc )

I would say this: do not worry about making your mixes mono compatible so much. If you do, you probably won't end up with a good-sounding mix. In fact, you'll probably never finish your mixes at all because, as I've pointed out, it's VERY hard to make a mix sound good in mono.

BTW, I can tell you that the sound systems for the tours I've worked on were most definitely stereo, as are the clubs that my world-famous DJ friends play at.

BTW, I can tell you that the sound systems for the tours I've worked on were most definitely stereo, as are the clubs that my world-famous DJ friends play at.

Well ski has definitely way more experience than I do in that domain so we can trust him on that. Still I wouldn't recommend trying to make a mix too wide by panning certain sounds hard left or hard right - or some of the audience will only hear part of the arrangement. I mean picture Sergeant Peppers Lonely Heart played in a stereo PA. Some of the audience would only hear the drums, while some of them would only hear the vocals. . .

George: When they invented stereo, I remember thinking "Why? What do you want two speakers for?" Because it ruined the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything coming out of one speaker, now for it to come out of two speakers, it all sounded like, very naked.

Paul: But then finally someone said "Well, you can like move things". So like then everything from then on got panned like mad, you know, everything got moved.

George: But to get to the point where you do a stereo mix and put the drums and bass in the middle, it took a while... it used to be over on the side!

— The Beatles on the invention of stereo

yeh thats what i thought... all the systems my mates work on are stereo too..

That's interesting. Most clubs I've been to don't just have a PA at the front, they have speakers all over the place, I wonder how that would work in stereo...

Ya, well, I'm interested in stating the obvious.

:shock:

Seriously tho... There'd be no way to take a poll of every sound system, from those in dive bars to big concert systems and get a definitive answer about how much the world still lives in mono. Besides, we have like, um, two choices: stereo and mono. Thus...

• if you mix in stereo and you don't check for mono compatibility, you run the risk of your mix sounding like crap on the random chance that you play it back on a mono sound system.

• if you attempt to alter your stereo mix to make it acceptably mono compatible, the truth is that you may never find an acceptable compromise. As I said before, making a stereo mix acceptably mono compatible is VERY difficult. You really have to know what you're doing and even then you won't always be 100% successful.

Hey, I've seen worse than stereo/not-stereo. For example, many years ago while visiting a high-end club in NYC, they had these JBL bullet tweeters suspended ON THEIR OWN (!!!) from the ceiling, completely disassociated from any other speakers. If you got too close to one of 'em you got your head ripped off. The system was definitely stereo, because sounds were flying around. But then there were these "surround" tweeters (LOL).