LAN audio monitoring?

tmh

Hi folks,

Here's the scenario:

1. Main workstation is in my basement studio (Logic 8, G5 PPC, Leopard 10.5.8, Digi 002)

2. Secondary 'trying to become' workstation in upstairs room (G4, Leopard 10.5.8, no DAW, audio out to home stereo)

3. Machines are networked via ethernet cables and router (LAN)

Having no problems using Apple Remote Desktop to control studio G5. In fact, it's quite nice. However, no audio monitoring available.

QUESTION: Is there any way to monitor audio remotely with this kind of setup, via my network? For example, I would like to be able to perform some basic tasks that don't require my being in front of my studio monitors (simple edits, cleaning up tracks, monitoring reference mixes etc.) from time to time via ARD without having to physically be in the basement studio. I could bore a hole in the floor and run a really long RCA cable from my DIGI 002 alt source output to my stereo amp upstairs, but that is less than ideal for a number of reasons. Obviously, crucial work will always be done in my studio. I'm not looking for perfect. I know there would be latency and audio quality issues, among other things. I could live with that. Again, this is just for some of that tedious and time consuming work so I can easily switch gears and change a diaper, wash some dishes... be a little more present for the family. Some of you will get this.

Thanks in advance.

Todd