Mixing with vol automated tracks

hungrydave

What are people's methods for dealing with this?

ATM, i'm bussing stuff to give me another fader independent of the automation. Tends to clutter up the arrange/mixer though. Any better ideas? I don't really want to bounce as i often mix as i write and like to keep things fluid.

Cheers

Thanks david

"I usually just Command-drag-up/down on the automation fader in the track header (to the right) in automation view."

Ooh, relative automation moves. That is a handy trick i will definitely use, but for mixing, I think i'm just hardwired to grab the fader

"A lot of people use a gain plug-in."

So this is a probably a better option for me. If i put the gain on the last insert, i can automate the gain and use the fader for mixing still. Is there any easy way i can cut my vol automation settings and apply them to a different parameter (gain)

Edited by hungrydave

Busing tracks to Auxes (to create subgroups or trims) is a perfectly fine way to work and IMO much more visually obvious and convenient than automating gain trims using the Gain plug. Personally I'd rather eat glass than ever do that! But in terms of reducing clutter there are few things you can do...

1) create tracks for each of your subgroups/trims. Use the pencil tool to create a single blank region on each one. Then select all of those regions and pack them in a folder (creating the regions gives you something to actually pack into a folder). Then you can go into the folder and see just those specific auxes in the Mixer view.

2) create tracks for your groups/trims in the arrange page and then hide them. Using the hide/unhide button you can remove them from view when you want.

3) pack like-tracks or tracks from the same "family" of instruments (such as all of the tracks for a horn section, or, all drums and bass) into a folder. Within that folder, create tracks for your Auxes. Again, by entering the folder, your Mixer will show you just those tracks.

If i put the gain on the last insert, i can automate the gain and use the fader for mixing still. Is there any easy way i can cut my vol automation settings and apply them to a different parameter (gain)

Hi Dave,

This is thinking backwards to me. I would use the Gain plug-in as trim, and use the fader for volume automation. I completely agree with Ski's glass-eating sentiments.

Does anyone else think that a trim knob on the channel strip would make life easier?

As for changing parameters, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but is it this? ( the "To copy or convert the automation data of one parameter to another" part):

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/#chapter=28%26section=7

Does anyone else think that a trim knob on the channel strip would make life easier?

In general, Ye-eh-eh-es!!!

I strongly feel that the channel strips in Logic are missing key features, linc

• integrated gain control at the top of the channel (like every mixing board in the whole wide world)

• (..... and much much more .....)

:mrgreen:

In general, Ye-eh-eh-es!!!

I strongly feel that the channel strips in Logic are missing key features:

• integrated gain control at the top of the channel (like every mixing board in the whole wide world)

• TRIM automation mode

• pan capability on sends

• integrated direction mixer which becomes activated whenever you have a stereo channel (or you insert a stereo effect on a mono track

Oh there I go off on one again. But yes, integrated gain control. Like, c'mon... :roll: :roll: :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Phew, not just me then!

Have I misunderstood what "trim" is used for? I was under the impression it was basically a gain offset knob, and dynamic changes in gain was dealt with by the faders (automation now, hand-operated whilst printing to tape in ye olde days).

Rev, am i being thick, i can find anything in the track header or in that manual page that relates to hiding tracks.

No Dave, I was being thick.

Here's the right page: http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=9%26section=17

I forgot that it's not in the track header options to show the hide button.

Hi Dave,

Indeed... you can't pack tracks into a folder, but you can pack regions into a folder. Of course, regions have to live on tracks, so in essence when you select regions and pack them into a folder, you're packing tracks into a folder. In summary, you can't pack blank tracks into a folder, but you can pack "populated" tracks into a folder.

And re my suggestion of creating a bunch of tracks and assigning them to your various Auxes (so that they show up cleanly in the Mixer), you have to create blank regions on those tracks first in order to pack them into a folder.

Hope that makes sense.