Where did my cymbals go? [SOLVED]

swisskitsch

I normally just use the drum kits in the ESX drop down, but yesterday (for the first time) I tried messing around with Ultrabeat. Now all my cymbals are MIA, except for High Hats. In many cases only the bottom 2 octaves trigger normal drum assignments, but the keys above them now trigger those generic tones you get when you have an empty software instrument track. Did I mess something up playing with Ultrabeat? Also, are there any free tutorials for Ultrabeat on line?

That's how Ultrabeat works: drum sounds from C1 to B2, chromatic bass tones from C3 up:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/instruments/Art/S03/S0345_AssignmentSect.png

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/instruments/#chapter=15%26section=1%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:TempBookID-ReplacedWhenAssociatingWithMessierRevision-43982UBT-1007809

I don't see any problem - I'm afraid the only problem I'm seeing is in your expectations. What you're describing is just the way it works.

Ultrabeat and EXS24 are two different instruments, they use different drum kits, they have different plug-in setting files. Even if the settings (kits) have the same names and use the same samples, they are different. The way the notes are mapped to the keyboard are also different.

No, EXS24 instruments are not generated Ultrabeat.

Sorry about my bafflement , I'm a old guy writer / composer and I'm afraid I'm not real savvy on this stuff. You did explain how the keys are set up, but I guess what I was looking for is; why the cymbals in these kits suddenly vanished. Did I do something? And how do I fix it?

why the cymbals in these kits suddenly vanished

If, as I understand it, you mean that the cymbals "vanish" when you use Ultrabeat vs when you use EXS24, then nothing has vanished, you are using two different instruments and they don't have the same amount of samples mapped out to your keyboard.

It's as if you had a 7 string guitar, put it down, and pick up a 6 string guitar: you haven't lost a string, you're just using a different instrument that has less strings. You could always put down the 6 string and use the 7 string again.

Does that make sense?

Update: I don't use Ultrabeat. I played around with it once right before the cymbals vanished from my all theESX24 drums kits. That's why I thought there might be some connection. So now that I know the issue is with the ESX, heres what's going on. Using my ESX24 drums kits. When I try to trigger the Crash and Ride Cymbals using my keyboard, the assigned key(s) now play congas. However; when I play a previously recorded performance on the same track, (not using the keyboard) the kits act normal i.e. all Cr and Rd cymbals are triggered. The keyboard uses a MIDI plugs routed through a emagic Unitor8. Thought I'd try switching the MIDI plugs to different ports but there was no change.